School Project: Make a playable (1vs1) map in Unreal Editor

Hi everybody,

in this thread I will post WIPs of just about everything regarding my Unreal school project:

-BSP blockout
-Preproduction of level lay out and panel designs
-Models and texture process
-Final level
-etc…

16/01/2016 SEE UPDATE AT THE LATEST POST

I fixed the lighting some more, keeping the same tones and dark claustrophobic feeling but at the same time brightening up everything in hopefuly a satisfactory way.

I opened some holes in the roof where you can see that you are in outer space, with a starry sky that is slowly passing you buy. Giving some feel of movement on the core of the ship you are on.

In the first picture you can see three real time screens! I put three sneaky CCTV cameras in the scene and form this control center you could call it you could see your enemies sneak around!!

15/01/2016 SEE UPDATE AT THE LATEST POST

Added lighting, changed some colours, filled up with some more props, trying some stuff out.

14/01/2016 SEE UPDATE AT THE LATEST POST

So I added some quick textures, some props. Changed the lay out of most rooms quite a bit since the early BSP blockout to make them more interesting and engaging.

** 13/10/2015 UPDATE **

While designing panels and walls I have also decided to redo my level. By the credo that your first is almost never your best I quickly made a new blockout in a couple of hours.
It is much more compressed, better suited for two to four player games. I envisioned it more like the insides of a space ship this time and that is also the way I will decorate it.

I am going to start by showing the top view.
Here you can see that it all revolves around the centre room (which will have a big power core in it decoration wise)
Players will have to constantly watch out for all the bends and blind spots!

Centre room.

The four adjoining rooms.

One thing I couldnt make clear in the block out: I am planning on opening up a lot of spaces with windowed panels so you can see space around you, giving you more the feeling of being in a space ship. This will also add a nice atmosphere and some more light.

Now for the decoration part:

** OLD UPDATES - NOT RELEVANT **

I have finished the blockout a couple of days ago, and am still deciding how I can make the main floor more interesting.
But first it’s time to design some interesting looking sci-fi panels/walls to start decorating the level with and give it some life and character!

This second screenshot shows where all the jump pads are at.
I really want the players to to use the full height and range of the map to jump around.
I also put a lot of health vials in the flight paths from one tower to the next, so it gives even more incentive to use them.

In the third image you see where the elevators are at. The dotted lines are just to be clear that they start out of view. This is to make sure the players have enough starting options to go from low, to mid and high level before using the jump pads.

See 13/10/2015 update first post

Been waaay too long since I last updated, but I have been really busy for school and also forgot to show some updates so here is a huge one!

Level is slowly coming together, adding pillars, tubes, cables, lighting. After that its time to fix the panels, and textures and add more props.

Looks interesting, i stay tune :wink:

Latest work in progress from the previous day. Still lots to do. Very unsure on how im going to approach the wall and floors, at the moment I dread this color but I just cant seem to make anything work at the moment.

Feedback is always welcome!

Looks good already! I’ll try to write down some tips from my own experience (which is not much!)

• Maybe some lighter, secondairy color in your material might make the whole look more interesting? You might push the roughness a little further too.

• Watch out that is doesn’t get too dark. Try to capture the atmosphere with subtle different light colors and tints instead of harsh differences in brightness. Use the physical lights in your scene as accents, not as the main ambient light sources.

• Also, it looks like you still need some edge-hiding props like borders and stuff. As the deadline comes closer, don’t lose too much time fiddling on perfect, detailed and well-designed props in max. Just quickly model the type of border or prop you need, and try it out in Unreal. If it doesn’t work, throw it away. If it does, quickly add some normal map details in photoshop.

Good luck!

Those are the exact points I have noticed as well. I will try to sort those out as fast as possible because lighting matters so much.

Just havent figured out how exactly yet

I fixed the lighting some more, keeping the same tones and dark claustrophobic feeling but at the same time brightening up everything in hopefuly a satisfactory way.

I opened some holes in the roof where you can see that you are in outer space, with a starry sky that is slowly passing you buy. Giving some feel of movement on the core of the ship you are on.

In the first picture you can see three real time screens! I put three sneaky CCTV cameras in the scene and form this control center you could call it you could see your enemies sneak around!