SceneGraph, first impressions

Keep in mind this is from a level designer’s POV:

1. The way we navigate the scene is by selecting things and pressing F to focus on them. This doesn’t work currently on prefabs, would be nice to see what you have selected.

2. We can’t use FN props with this system. We build with FN props for the most part, which means we can’t use this system now.

3. A prefab that has an override doesn’t seem very obvious. Even if the editor told me a prefab has an override, I cant tell from outliner except that it looks different in viewport

4. The floor when editing a prefab goes away if you press undo (minor)

5. You cant select prefabs in live edit, meaning if you are a live edit builder you cant use scene graph atm.

6. No significant impact to in-game memory, I was expecting with all the optimization of all meshes the memory would be half of what it is in the template.

7. The sine animation component is cool, and verse support seems cool as well.

Unfortunately, this is very early for me to use atm, because none of my workflows are supported. Definitely looks promising though, so I ll check it out in the future again when some support with FN assets or Live edit is added.

Thanks Wert,

For me, reading the ‘Known Issues’ section of the Scene Graph Doc was comforting. (Thinking of it as a sort of Roadmap for future features)

Ah, I see. They didn’t cover my issues thought, are we not meant to build in Live edit when its enabled I wonder?

I’m unsure what the expectation is at this point.

1 Like