Scene capture 2D Material no longer treats black as translucent after upgrading to UE 5.1

Hello there. I’m hoping I can find a push in the right direction with an odd problem I seem to be having. I had an “item examination” set up on 5.0.3 and it was working as expected, a camera renders an object into a material and you can “inspect” the item… like so…

However, I discovered, seemingly after upgrading the project to UE 5.1, that the object no longer appears on the material…

I investigated for a while and discovered that for some reason, my previous implementation for viewing the item and ignoring the background and making it transparent no longer works…

I can see that the item is definitely in front of the camera, because if I remove the “OneMinus” (which previously worked in 5.0.3), the item renders, but it does not make the black transparent like it used to…

Am I missing something here? Is it really the upgrade to 5.1 that caused this? Is it an error? Or is there something else I could have accidentally changed?

Hi all, I’m still having issues with this. Can anyone out there shed some light on this for a coffee? :grinning:

I think it might just be a bug in 5.1 the alpha channel in the render target texture is flooded with white compared to a working cutout in previous versions. So scene capture 2d might not have the correct cut off values when capturing the information. Perhaps they changes something with the depth buffer that broke it?

Seems like I can get it working in Standalone Game but the RT texture is full transparent in pie and in viewport.
Had to switch the material from masked to translucent for it to start registering. Not ideal because it’s a larger performance hit

Material

RT Texture

SceneCapture2d (see nothing in viewport)

In Game works as intended

But it’s definitely not ideal. After these tests it probably something to do with the last updates to masked materials that they did for nanite.

They might have introduced a bug into the capture2d by accident or some overreaching optimization for nanites folliage.

Masked materials seem to be a big problem since most versions of UE 5.

1 Like

Hi Raven. Cheers for looking at that. Translucent doesn’t work for me, I just get nothing. Using masked shows the static mesh, but it always has a black background

Yeah it only works in standalone game mode (it has to launch the game).
In viewport or pie just shows nothing.

Got you, this did work. I suppose that’s fine then as long as it works when the game is packaged! Although it makes debugging a bit more of a pain. Do you think Epic will register this as a bug?

It probably should be sent in as a bug report.

I have submitted this as a bug. How do I buy you a coffee raven?

I’m just on the forum to get better at coding and unreal. Helping people is enough reward for me.

1 Like

Cheers mate :slight_smile:

I changed it in the end and didn’t use a render target, I just spawned the mesh in front of the player directly

If people are having problems with a Capture 2D Texture Target turning black when pushing play (simulate, viewport and pie), I fixed it by going to Scene Outliner, select the 2D Capture Cam Component, and in the details, I switched from Composite Mode ‘Overwrite’ to ‘Composite’ and now it works for me the way it used to…

I had a similar issue and solved it by setting the Opacity Mask Clip Value on the material to -1 and Blend Mode to Masked.

My scenecapture instead is working but showing grooming assets black (as materials seems to not render correctly, no matter what material I put there), any tips?