Scaling bone in single axis creating wobbly/bouncy animation

I have a very simple rig with 4 bones in a straight line. I have scaled the first bone in the hierarchy in a single axis (Y-axis) in order to shrink the geometry. In Maya this behaves perfectly but upon importing into unreal I found that the child bone to the one I scaled is being counter scaled in order to retain size. I scaled the bone to .1 for frame 1 and it slides back up to 1.0 by frame 8. Meanwhile the child bone scales from 10.0 to 1.0. Now this would be fine if the curves inbetween the frames were truly linear, but something is causing them to interpolate at different rates. Almost as if the tangents were set to flat instead of linear. In Maya they are set to linear and in UE4 the only options available are linear and step, choosing linear gives me the undesired wobble effect and choosing step gives me exactly what I had in Maya but of course without the smooth inbetweens that I would prefer. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is there any way to take a peak at the curves in some kind of graph editor to better understand the interpolation method UE4 is using? Or am I simply not supposed to be scaling a single bone in 1 axis for an imported fbx animation?

Thanks in advance for any info or thoughts you might have.

Were you ever able to resolve this? I’m running into the same thing. At the sub-frame level there is some weird scaling for some reason.