Scale & Collision

Hi guys, I’ve started my first project on ue5. I have two questions.

1. So I’m using currently the first person character to see how my home I made in blender looks and I made the width of the door 90cm but the character won’t fit. So the scale is 1.0 1.0 1.0 but does this means is 1m, 1m, 1m?
  2. I didn’t make the collision on blender but in ue5 , I added collision box into the mesh will there be a problem?

Thank you for your time!!

Hey

The size of your character collision can be seen in the Capsule Component. Capsule Half Height and Capsule Radius will give you the measures.

If the simple collision of your house is in the middle of the door pawns won’t be able to go through it. So if you just added a solid box arround the entire mesh it won’t work.
You can check this kind of thing by changing the display mode in viewport to Player Collision

Oh, life saver! Thank you so much!

Engine’s collision primitives have a problem with nonuniform scaling - if you increase in one axis, the sphere and capsule will increase in all three axes - which is understandable. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a sphere or a capsule, right?

The box scales in the direction of its its pivot - so if you create a box in the engine, it’s ok. But if you rotate that box collider by 45 degrees and then increase the asset in one axis in the editor, you will probably have a problem.

1 Like