Saving .

Good afternoon. Why is Unreal Engine 5 on disk ( D ) and memory is wasted on disk ( C ) ? How do I make sure that the program does not occupy the disk ( C )?

Epic launcher, Visual Studio, UE all use the C for temporary files (%temp% / %appdata%) you could scan your C drive with WinDirStats to check what is eating the memory and attempt to change the folder from C to D on that app.

1 Like

I forgot, but I think there were 1 or 2 steps.

1. Change the directory of the “Vault Cache” in Epic Launcher settings (I think). How to change Epic Launcher ProgramData folder location - #4 by christuusgnosis

2. I forgot if I also needed to setup a Windows 10 Virtual folder/directory that points to C drive (for Epic temporary files), but the files store on D drive. (Meaning there might have been a hard link to C drive, that the Epic settings would not let me change. Or maybe the was only true for an older version.) Redirecting

Like this?

mklink /d "C:\ThisPlace" "D:\ThatPlace"

If you run into such cases, it’s good to know that such links break in git repos (when you clone / restore), possibly other situations as well.

Thanks. I didnt use that command. I forgot what I did, perhaps a Windows’ GUI option that executes that command. I tried to find the article that explains it, and I believe it was discussed in relation to UE4, for the OP’s topic purpose.