Save Rob - Procedural Platformer

My wife mentioned to me last week that I talked a lot making games, but I never actually finished anything.

She had a good point.

Every time I would come up with a new idea or start working a new project, it would only take a few days for me to get distracted with something else new. When my wife made that comment, I was telling her about how I wanted participate in next year’s 48 hour game jam. In light of that feedback, I chose to have my own 48 game challenge based on a random theme of her choice. She was going out of state for a couple of days this last weekend to visit family, so it would be a good time to see if I was capable of finishing a game, even it was just a simple one.

The theme she gave me before she left was “When it rains, it pours.” I spent an hour or two tossing around ideas about how I could build around that phrase. It seemed like the easiest route was to take the literal interpretation and make a game that involves heavy rainfall.

This was the result of that 48 challenge:

It’s a game about Rob: a robot that it water resistant but unfortunately not waterproof. Heavy rains are coming down, so you must assist him with getting to higher ground before the flood fully immerses him and fries his circuits.

Here’s the current (and short) list of features:

• Fully supports gamepad control (axis/d-pad) for player action input and menu selection.
  • Procedural level generation.
  • Character double jump (with particle effect), custom movement sounds, and random talk bubble comments

Here are some planned features that I hope to implement:

• Difficutly settings
  • High score system
  • Mobile support
  • Custom mesh for Rob
  • New/more interesting level backgrounds
  • Different environmental hazards
  • Greater variety of random platforms
  • Leaderboards?
  • Possible endless gameplay mode…

Any and all feedback is welcome! :slight_smile:

Hi LeoCurtss,

This looks like fun. I like the fact that you are a robot who isn’t waterproof. You should definitely stick to this that way I can play it when it’s done.

[HR][/HR]
Some other links
http://isaac3dart.blogspot.com/

Hey LeoCurtss,

Fantastic Work! To think that this was made in 48 Hours is crazy. Great job and hope to see much more in the future.

Thank you both for your kind words :slight_smile:

I like this game because my name is Rob.

Good stuff! I’d say you can tell people you can finish things now and it would hold water!