Save Point Device in UEFN

You can now use the Save Point device in UEFN to save players’ progress over multiple game sessions. Progress, location, resources, and stats can now be saved. Creators can now migrate islands from Creative to UEFN, without losing Save Point functionality. Please note that publishing a migrated island will reset all of its data. This means that the next time players visit your island, they’ll join as new players without any previously saved data. Data migration is not possible at this time. We are exploring solutions and will share an update when one is available but we don’t expect this will be resolved this year.

Check here for more information about the import process and here for more on the Save Point Device.

1 Like

I have so many questions but there is ZERO documentation on this device… Anyways, let’s start with a few:

1. Does this work in edit mode? As in, I’m making a game and I want to test if it saves data without publishing (because nobody publishes until done). My tests show that it does NOT work. This seems silly. I hope I’m wrong.

2. How do you save just one player’s data?

3. How do you clear just one player’s data?

For the above two questions there doesn’t seem to be a way to pass the agent to the save device. Or am I missing something?

When will this be available in verse? Bindings are a real pain and not easy to work with in game dev.

2 Likes

Will the save point device be available to access in verse? I am unable to find something called save_point_device in the Fortnite.digest file (unless it’s named something different)

Hi @GraemeBB - It looks like we’re having an issue with edit and we’re checking into it!

2 Likes

Hi.

The Persistence Devices documentation has different text in the English and Japanese versions.
The text in the Japanese version is much more voluminous.
Which is correct?

Engilish.

Japanease.

thank you

whoa… I didn’t know that. I should be switching to the Japanese docs from now on. Thanks for linking that. A quick read over shows me it’s pretty accurate based on my testing so far.

日本語の方が正確な情報でとても使えますね。なぜ英語の方のドキュメンテーションが少ないかが不思議です。。。おかしい

1 Like

実際よく見てみるとドキュメントのすべてが UEFN バージョンに含まれているわけではありません。これは Creative 1.0 バージョンですかそれともまだリリースされていないバージョンのドキュメントかな。。とにかくそこにあるアイテムはその機能については正確です。

2 Likes

The Japanese doc says that there is an exposed verse API with 10+ functions but I don’t see any in my Digest, I have to use 1.0 triggers instead :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Japanese documentation is not very accurate in translation and I always read the English documentation. :person_shrugging:

Hi @Flak !
I saw the Save Point device options and was curious about what I’m able to save or not save. I saw we can not save Timers, Trackers, or Switches yet. Does that imply that custom data can not be stored per player yet since that’s what Trackers are able to do?

Additionally, I was looking in the *.digest.verse files and couldn’t find any exposure to the Save Point device. Is that not available yet?

No, it’s not available yet. Verse exposure is supposedly coming at a later date, but as we can see in the japanese docs, it’s there somewhere…

Ya, I think they put that in without QA going over it, which means it’s coming soon?

1 Like

Thanks, @GraemeBB. I’ll just have to keep working on the gameplay mechanics then and plan for custom data integration in the future. Love your videos, by the way!

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, until the verse stuff is in there it’s triggers all the way… bleh… I have a tutorial in the works for that soon (probably tomorrow)

Is this still not working in edit sessions? Not seeing any score persist

1 Like