Save file getting deleted on update

Hello,
I’m releasing my 5th project on Steam…it’s currently in pre-release. Every time I update the game on Steam, me and the people who are play testing for me have their saves deleted after the update. The only thing I’m doing differently this time around is I moved all the save functions to the GameInstance from the GameMode. My Steam setup is exactly the same.

2 quick questions:

1. I read somewhere that doing a development build vs shipping build could affect this. Is that true? Any idea why?

2. Below is the BP stuff I am doing to create/load a save file in the GameInstance. Any reason this could be causing new builds to delete the old file?

Thanks so much for any guidance!

1. Yes, the type of build (development or shipping) can affect the save data. Development builds often have a different directory structure than shipping builds, which can cause issues with save data. It’s important to test your game in a shipping build before release to make sure that save data is not being deleted.
  2. The code you provided for creating and loading a save file in the GameInstance does not provide enough information to determine why it may be causing the save data to be deleted after updates. However, there are a few things to check that could be causing the issue:
  • Make sure that the GameInstance class is not being recreated when the game is loaded, as this can cause the save data to be lost.
  • Make sure that the save file is being saved to the correct location and that the file name is unique and does not change between builds.
  • Make sure that the save file is being loaded correctly and that the data is being properly deserialized.

It’s also possible that the problem lies somewhere else in your code or in your Steam setup. It would be helpful to see more of the code and the Steam setup to get a better understanding of the issue.

You can possibly use Steam Clouds to save data from the game, so that it is remembered by the steam servers. I don’t think it should be super difficult to implement.