Sanctuary - Unreal Engine 5 Cinematic

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a short cinematic that I have been working on most evenings after work for the past 5-6 months or so.

Set within the Star Wars universe, the cinematic follows an Inquisitor Droid, just after the notorious ‘Order 66’ event, as it searches through an alien jungle looking for Jedi survivors.

I had a couple of goals I wanted to achieve with this project, namely exploring some of the new features in UE5 and playing with what could be a more ‘next-gen’ workflow.

I made use of UDIMs and Virtual Texturing for higher fidelity assets, in addition to Nanite and Lumen.

In terms of asset creation, I also wanted to play with how I could treat Quixel Megascans assets as ‘data’ rather than using them straight out of the box. For example, extracting the height and topology information from a set of rocks and repurposing it onto my bespoke rocks, while using the albedo and other channels as starting points to build unique textures.

If you’d like to see more of my stuff, including more shots of this particular project head on over to my Portfolio.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did putting it together!

5 Likes

Greetings @Jackdaw; I hope you’re doing well. Thank you for sharing your incredible cinematic short, “Sanctuary,” here with us in the U.E. forums! I loved it; the scene flowed perfectly, and it definitely shows in the quality of your assets how much hard work you’ve poured into this creation.

P.S. Your portfolio is also impressive and definitely worth a look! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed watching it!

1 Like

I just recently began watching the Star Wars series and I have to admit my inner nerd absolutely loved it. Glad to see some fan work here now :smiley: Afterall, it was definitely the Order 66 moment that made me a supporter.

My overly enthusiastic fangirling aside, this entire video is remarkable. The bioluminescent plants truly just make the entire scene wonderfully fantasy and dream-like. Do you have plans to create more short films similar to this one?

1 Like

That’s awesome! I’m (obviously) a big fan of all the Star Wars series stuff too and I’m so glad you liked it!

In terms of making more of these, who knows!? I probably won’t make another SW one for a while but I wouldn’t rule that out entirely!

1 Like