RVO Avoidance causes character slowdown on beginning of movement

I have Player class that inherits from Character, so it has Character Movement component. Everything is ok when i play in Editor window… But when i play in Standalone mode or packed game, my player has some slowdown at the beginning of movement. I use SimpleMoveToLocation to move to clicked location. So when i click, he moves slower for about 0.5s and then he goes back to normal speed.

I was troubleshooting my issue and i’ve found that enabling RVO Avoidance causes this. Without RVO enabled, character moves immediately at desired speed, with no slowdown on beginning. RVO values: Consideration Radius == 100, Weight == 0.5. I hope there is some solution, because it works with no problem in editor.

(I’ve created a new, blank project just to test this. Version: 4.6.1)

Update: When i change Weight to 1.0, the slowdown is gone, but i guess avoidance will not work at this value, so it’s actually disabling it. As i said, it works perfectly with Weight == 0.5, but only when i play in editor.

Bumpy bump :slight_smile:

Hi Slavq,

Sorry it’s taken so long to respond. Have you tried recreating this issue UE4.7? If so, does the issue persist?

Thanks

Hi Slavq,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue of RVO Avoidance causing slowdown at the beginning of character movement when playing in Stand Alone Mode, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

I’m back, recreating my project in 4.8, and I’ve discovered what causes this slowdown: When FPS is above 100. I’ve tested it within Editor window and capped FPS to 30, 60 and 100, result: No slowdown. Then I’ve set max FPS to 101 and the slowdown immediately appeared.

Looks like every FPS value above 100 (even 101) causes a ~0.5/1s. slowdown at the beginning of character movement (looks like it takes longer than normal to accelerate to max walking speed) when RVO Avoidance is enabled.

Setting max FPS to 60 (or 100) fixes it (so i have an easy workaround), so i think that this question can be marked as a bug report.