RuntimeMeshImportExport - Import and Export runtime created static meshes using Assimp library

Never worked with collision that much, and never with physics. Though there is a difference between simple collisions (sphere/rectangle/cylinder/… ) and complex collisions (e.g. the mesh itself in its entire form). As far as I know, physics works only with simple collision. Complex can be used for overlaps.

I also have the same problem. Export FBX, then import 3DMAX without data, but import UE4 editor is OK. I try to export obj, 3dmax is OK, but I want to use FBX format

I’m sorry, but thats not about me. Thats about 3DSMax/Assimp. File formats can be very complex and FBX has multiple versions as well as ASCII and BINARY. FBX provider Autodesk does not even publish the specs of the file format, only the SDK that everyone should make use of. Though, new versions require the ThirdParty tools to upgrade their SDK version. Some ThirdParty applications try to write their own FBX importer/exporter, without using the SDK (Assimp does that).

As alternative you can try GLTF as that is very common now as well.

Do you finally finish this for android?

Can you share me the link or any hint about link the Assimp part& plugin on android? Cause i’m doing something about AR, so this is pretty important to implement on Android or even IOS.
Thanks

https://github.com/assimp/assimp/blo…dJNI/README.md

Thanks for your information, actually i already finish compile Assimp to Android “libassimp.so”, but i don’t know how to link the file and plugin, can you help me about that?

See #1](https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/marketplace/1653161-runtimemeshimportexport-import-and-export-runtime-created-static-meshes-using-assimp-library#post1653161), if that does not work, then I don’t know

Hi!

I’m wondering if I can use textures embedded in FBX files, does anyone have experience with that? They don’t seem to work out of the box at least. FBXs with separate texture files seem to mostly work fine but I’d prefer embedded ones.

Embeded textures are only supported when they are embedded as e.g. jpg/png. See #1.](https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/marketplace/1653161-runtimemeshimportexport-import-and-export-runtime-created-static-meshes-using-assimp-library#post1653161)
Reason: Assimp docs about embedded raw pixel data is so confusing that I was not able to derive code from it.

At the moment we push our main project for Steam, thus there is no time to work on it.

I’ve got import working but no luck on export unfortunately. The example project won’t open on my version of the engine and I don’t want to have to download a new version, a step-by-step tutorial in video or PDF form would be very useful.

Currently I create a procedural mesh in an actor (“MiniMeshActor”) using the import set up:

Then I call the export like this from my Pawn. It generates an stl file but with no data inside:

44b36b666cf845dbb4be57f5c276547aeb3fd605.jpeg
https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64

Following the screenshots I’ve added the Mesh Exportable interface and filled in the Get Mesh Data function in the MiniMeshActor holding the procedural mesh :

As far as I can tell that matches the example in the screenshots. Any clue where things are going wrong?

Log? Probably the VertexColor array of size 1. Remove the entry in the MakeArray node so the Node only has an output pin. You can also try fbx/gltf for export. I know these are working.

Thanks for your quick reply, the array thing fixed it. That gives me all the functionality I need, well worth the purchase, thanks!

Hi!

Have people managed to create a UE material generic enough or found a particular 3d model production pipeline to be able to import multiple formats without having to manually figure out every 3d modeling software/model format combo?

We’ve also been having trouble with the same format when exported from different 3d software… Our goal would be to simultaneously support as many formats from as many 3d software as possible.

Is there some format that when it gets exported from most 3d modeling software, would have the same material parameters after imported through this plugin pretty much regardless of where it’s exported from?

This is a problem that exists for basically ever and will never change. The file format only specifies what can be in that file and how it is written. What the actual applications write into the files is up to the application.

There **might **also can be some weird quirks in Assimp that tread the file differently depending on data in the file.

Also when talking about materal, you need to keep different shading in mind. Unreal uses Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and Assimp a different one (I forgot what it was). Thing is, you can easily convert from PBR to Assimps model, but not the other way round. Thus what you get from Assimp won’t ever statisfy Unreals PBR rendering. In addition to that you have the Rendering model of the third party application…

If you use the interface or the pure code, does not matter. The picture shows how to get it running, if you stick to it, is your own decission.

1: Create a material that provides the parameters you want to get applied from the imported material data (#40)](https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/marketplace/1653161-runtimemeshimportexport-import-and-export-runtime-created-static-meshes-using-assimp-library?p=1725805#post1725805)
2: Place the material in “Material Info To Dynamic Material” node and feed it the material data to apply.

“Material Info To Dynamic Material” the node shown in the picture you have attached. You import and use the result of the import to run the code in the picture.

3: Set the resulting dynamic material to the mesh component.
As with every material, you need to set it to the component that holds the mesh. In this case the ProceduralMeshComponent/RuntimeMeshComponent.

Hello,Import of FBX was successful. But the JPG file path is wrong.

Here is my FBX path: G: / Project/Load3MX/Content/osGB/Tile_ + 000_ + 000_l15_00_0.fbx.

But he showed that he could not read the file: “G: / Project/Load3MX/Content/osGB/D: \ EPIC \ ue_4.26 \ Engine \ Binaries \ Win64 \ Tile_ + 000_ + 000_l15_00_0.jpg”

I make sure they use the same path

Hi Rumbleball,

I use this plugin successfully on my own computer.
After I package my project it still works fine.
But when I move it to others’ computer, it will crash at the time of calling LoadScene.
I injected some log information and conclude that it is assimp class initialization cause the program failed.

[Callstack] 0x00007ff86670d759 KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction ]

[Callstack] 0x00007ff693ece01d NDDS.exe!__delayLoadHelper2() [d:\agent_work\63\s\src\vctools\delayimp\delayhlp.cpp:312]

[Callstack] 0x00007ff6937a6074 NDDS.exe!_tailMerge_assimp_vc141_mtd_dll() ]

[Callstack] 0x00007ff68e80f3b0 NDDS.exe!UnknownFunction …\Source\RuntimeMeshImportExport\Private\RuntimeMeshImportExportLibrary.cpp:957]

Do you have any idea how this could happen?

p.s.The other’s Windows 10 is also ver.2004 same as mine.

EDIT:
I install an Unreal Editor to the machine that previous failed just like the statement in this post.
After the installation of Unreal Editor, the standalone runtime is workable.
So is there any clue that assimp or RuntimeMeshImportExportLibrary need Editor runtime components?

Hi or anyone else who can help me :),

I’m new to your plugin and I’m trying out to recreate the import example. For my assignment, I have to import an .ifc. But I get this error (see picture)
It says Assertion Failed and Expression Failed: (ifcVector2(check.x, check.y)).squarelenght() < 1e-5.

It gives this already at the first node: Import Scene.

(I’m sorry that the pictures are attachments and not in the text, idk how to do that)

Hi @Rumbleball , just wondering if we can expect an update to version 4.26?

Hello !
I want to export the level as obj with runtime export with all the actor placed by player.
When i press a button on widget I want to export it.
I can’t get it to work.