RuntimeMeshImportExport - Import and Export runtime created static meshes using Assimp library

Thank you for the reply, I managed to work out that I needed to create a dynamic material for the mesh.

Hi.
I tried sample project #2.
But I couldnā€™t find how to apply material information to imported FBX.
Do you have any sample project file it can apply material information to imported FBXā€™s material?

you donā€™t apply the information to the FBX file, you read it out of the file, if the exporting tool wrote them and assimp read them. Example code in #2.

Thank you for the reply.
And Iā€™m sorry. I asked a wrong question.
I was trying to ask about how to apply the material to imported mesh when import the FBX.
I mean when I import FBX file, the Mesh appears without any materials.I attached some screenshots.
Could you tell me how it works and could you give me a sampleProject?
Iā€™m sorry for my poor English.

I modified the documentation regarding material data import in #1](https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/marketplace/1653161-runtimemeshimportexport-import-and-export-runtime-created-static-meshes-using-assimp-library#post1653161) a bit, see if you can work with that.

Hi, I am very interested in this plugin and considering buying it. I have a few very basic questions to ask since I cannot find more informative demo video showcasing the pluginā€™s capabilities.

1. Does the plugin just require a supported base version of Unreal Engine or there are some other plugins to install before installing and using your plugin? I have nevered used ASSIMP and not sure if I should do anything first to make sure your plugin can work with UE.
  2. I just need to import static meshes without materials and I would like to adjust imported objectsā€™ materials in runtime. Therefore, I am wondering if the imported mesh actors would have some definite names so that I can cast to them to adjust materials.

Thanks!

1: Assimp library is included in the Plugin. Just install the plugin and you are good to go.

1. Imported mesh data returns the name for each mesh object and its material

Thanks a lot! I am in the industry of architecture and I making some design games using UE. Your plugin means I can build games with readymade dynamic lighting environments and import meshes from CAD programs to do real-time renderings in packaged games. That is just awesome

@Rumbleballļ¼ŒHi, I have purchased this plug-inļ¼ŒI have a few questions for you
1态How does the export change the scale of a static mesh?
2态I tried to modify through make transform (GetMeshData), but scale didnā€™t work, and rotation worked

Are you talking about the transform ā€œcorrectionā€ that is part of the parameters passed to the export function?
OR
Are you trying to modify the mesh data directly (modifying vertex positions) in GetMeshData interface function?

The export itself does not change anything if not told by the user.

I want to directly modify the mesh dataļ¼ŒWhat should I do in the blueprinļ¼ˆSorry, Iā€™m a beginnerļ¼‰

Then you would just multiply the vertex with a scale factor (float) or scale vector .

for each vertex: vertex *= scale

OR

you can just set a different transform (ā€œmeshToWorldā€) for the exported mesh data.

Hello all, was wondering if anyone had any luck packing this plugin with Android, specifically Oculus Quest?

@Rumbleballļ¼ŒDo you know this Pluginļ¼ˆMesh Boolean Operationsļ¼‰? Can export the Mesh generated by this plugin (runtime)ļ¼Ÿ thanks

As long as you get access to the mesh data (Vertices, Triangles, ā€¦) you can export it.

i @Rumbleball ! Thanks a lot for your work on this plugin, itā€™s an amazing one and Iā€™ve had a lot of fun playing with it. Very useful and powerful, congrats on your work.

Iā€™ve been trying it this afternoon and Iā€™ve had quite a good start with it. Iā€™ve hit a small bump on the road that Iā€™ve managed to solve through a simple workaround, but Iā€™d like to bring it to your attention in case you know how to properly solve it. Maybe itā€™s something that has to do with the latest implementation of the plugin (which is 1.8 I believe), or maybe itā€™s something else entirely that Iā€™m missing. Let me quickly explain what Iā€™m talking about:

I have this model in Max that I want to export, and Iā€™ve done so both as an .fbx and as an .obj. Hereā€™s a picture of what it looks like, plus the export options:

CaptureC.JPG

In spite of what you see in the previous images, the end result I get after importing the building is this one:

CaptureD.JPG

As you can see, the building is pointing in the opposite way as it should. Changing up axis in max from z to y only serves to put the building sideways, so not much I feel can be done there. The only way Iā€™ve managed to make it work is by changing the z value in the relative transform scale field of the Add Procedural Mesh Component function. Doing so makes the building point in the right direction.

CaptureE.JPG

CaptureF.JPG

Even though that makes it work as it should, it seems a bit wrong to do it that way. Any ideas as to what could be happening?

All the best,

Brais

That every program is using a different axis system is a known issue that canā€™t be fixed. It just exists and we have to work with it.

To make the corrections for these cases, Unreals standard editor mesh importer provides a transform to correct exactly these issues. The plugin does the same on the ImportScene node. Just play with the rotation should solve your issue. **You should NOT need to flip a scale axis. **Also note that in your pictures the object is twisting the other way round (compared to max) cause of your flip.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the quick reply. Just tested that and it works as expected. Thanks again!

Hi, I am considering buying this plugin but want to demo it first. Is it possible that you can make a built version(game.exe) available so that people can test it before buying?

I actually could do that. Expect it tomorrow.