Runtime Support for "CopyMeshToStaticMesh"

I looked into the source code of this particular node. Its encapsulated in #if WITH_EDITOR Statement in Unreal Version 5.2 :sweat_smile:

The node “CopyMeshToStaticMesh” should or could have full runtime support. At least it is not clear from the the Geoemtry Scripting Reference.

Maybe it is somehow a missunderstanding that this node doesnt have full runtime support at the moment. Thus in the reference in the first table are some denoted that they running only in Editor. This Annotation is missing at CopyMeshToStaticMesh.:

I know have implemented something that only works in Editor. Please Add Runtime Support that dont depends on the editor.

When will this node be available at runtime (not only in editor) ?
Is this feature plannend or not plannend ?

grafik

I am really happy about the geometry scripting functionalities.
At the Moment “Copy Mesh to Static Mesh”
will only work With_Editor and not general at runtime:

“CopyMeshFromStaticMesh: Source Models are not available at Runtime”

It is not currently possible to make CopyMeshToStaticMesh work with a cooked StaticMesh asset. A cooked asset cannot be modified or updated, even at the C++ level, this is not supported by Unreal Engine. Geometry Script is just a wrapper around Engine C++ functionality, so we can’t change this constraint at the Geometry Script level.

We have a concept of a ‘runtime’ static mesh in Unreal, and it would be possible to make CopyMeshToStaticMesh work with runtime-spawned Static Meshes (ie these are not Assets loaded from disk, but created entirely at Runtime). However currently Runtime Static Meshes have many of the limitations of dynamic meshes, ie no Lumen or Nanite support, and the only way to create them is by writing custom C++ code.

2 Likes

For my Project this would be worth to think of. There are many geometry script functions for DynamicMesh i will depend on but also some basic function that work on Static Meshes, that i want to utilize. Socketsystem, maybe the better simulation perfomance of static meshes(only a presumption) with Collisions generated at start dynamically.

And after a Initializing and Loading Phase at runtime i really dont have to change the Mesh anymore. For the current Project the most basic graphical capabilities of Unreal are better than sufficent.

I have to try out more and think over it, maybe i will rely more onto the dynamic mesh actor and implement the missing basic functions that i miss out.

Thank you for your Reply and Clearification @rmsEG :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.