Download

Running node when event is called

Hey guys! I’m really stuck with something, and I’m guessing this is impossible, but here I go! :c

Basically, I’m building a lovely dialog system… a lot like Fallout/Elder Scrolls. I really wanna make it as open as possible, while also being easy to read… so I want to make it directly in blueprints! :smiley:
Here’s a mock up of what I’m wanting:

Basically it creates buttons, (3 of them in this example), and attaches events to when one of these buttons is selected.
It is the event attaching that has me beyond stuck. My guess is that this is actually very impossible. If any of you know how I could manage this without making the dialog unreadable, I would be very happy :smiley: :smiley:
Another problem I’ve run into is creating/binding events while in a function… is this not possible?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:
-Josh

Could you create it in UMG with a list of buttons that populates with the choices?

Basically I do not want to hard code anything, so coding every possible choice into UMG is not an option. :C
Ima have 30+ characters, many with complex interactions and quests c:

EDIT: I randomly found this video (with correct time) DialogBlueprintSystem Presentation and Tutorial - YouTube , and it’s really close to what I need… ignore the weird camera system, what I want is this:

It looks like this is possible, apparently… how is this done? :smiley: :smiley:

Alright, I figured it out. What you can do is have a never ending loop with a tiny (0.2) delay, (beware that while loops do not work) that checks a boolean symbolizing if the button has been pressed. The loop will continue until it finds that one of these buttons was pressed, exits the loop, and runs one of the execs.

Note: You cannot put all this into a function, but instead attach it to an event. (This is because you cannot have delays or long loops in a function)

:smiley: :smiley: I got this idea from the creator of the video I posted above!