Running multiple UE instances from the same project folder

Hi all, I have a setup with multiple servers running a UE5 project (the project files are same across all servers and individually located on each server). Now, I am wondering if it is possible to run UE instance on each of those servers from the same project folder, for example a shared drive that has the project folder on it which all servers can see and start UE instance from?

I know using source control is probably a good way to go for this kind of setup but it is not an option for me so i need to take different approach.

Running the same project from different instances of unreal wont work because each instance will be updating the files in the project all the time and the others instances wont update the new modified files without source control. for example for modify your gamemode in one computer and save all, the other computer with the same project wont notice and still using the old one and so on…each time someone saves a file it will be update in the folders but the other instances wont notice.

Why don’t use Multi-user editing instead? No need perforce or source control platforms
and set it up and get used to it is not that hard

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ue4+multi+user&sp=EgIIBQ%3D%3D

2 Likes

Yeah makes sense that the editing of files won’t be possible for obvious reasons…

But there will be no editing whatsoever on these instances. Their purpose is rendering and nothing needs to be saved nor edited after the render process is over. The instances restart after each render…so i assume the updated files will be read then?

you will be fine then. you can run from shared drives in your network.

What is the matter?

2 Likes

No particular matter, was just wondering if Unreal can be ran in this way. And if maybe there is a certain process in Unreal that would prevent me from doing this.

Thanks for your quick replies :smile:

NP…I used to run same projects twice in my computer with no problems at all

1 Like