RTX & Glass surfaces

Hello Epic Staff,

I’m not technical programmer, and I have some trouble to explain the strange behavior I notice when I play with glass surfaces and RTX. I have couples questions related to RTX settings.

1/ Enable Ray Tracing on Translucency in PPV, a simple plane surface (which normally have 1 face visible) has now its 2 faces visible. Ok. But what’s the story when we have a glass surface with a thickness?
Here is a screenshot with the use of glass material from automotive material pack. The glass surface on the right mesh is a single plane. On the left, it is about 2 simple planes of which one is reversed (as if it were only one with a thickness). As you can see, the left surface is as if it was totally opaque.

273275-doubleglass2.jpg

Here is the same object wihtout Ray Tracing on translucency :

2/ I can’t see glass statue nor the chrome ball reflect in the glass surface? Is it a currently limitation or am I misunderstood something to do?

3/ Index of Refraction in my material has no effect in the scene when RTX has enabled. In the meantime, there is a refraction settings in Ray Tracing Translucency settings from PPV that have an effect on the surface, but I can’t find anywhere how to control it. What is the relationnship between these two ones?

4/ RTAO seems to no working trough a glass surface when RT is enable in translucency. But may be I’m doing something wrong…

Many thanks in advance for your advices!

Cheers,
etiles

Hi Etiles!

I am also struggling with the index of refraction on my Glass Material.
It seems the index is stucked at a constant value and changing it in the Material is not changing anything on the refraction.
This was working in the preview engine version as far as i remember.
So it looks like the whole “Raytracing Translucency” feature is useless at the moment…

To 1: Maybe this is also a problem caused by the Index Of Refraction Bug. In the preview version i used a Sphere with a smaller sphere inside and this was working after increasing the Max. Refraction Rays.

To 2: You can try to increase the Ray Tracing Reflections → Max.Bounces. 1 bounce is not enough.

To 3: Refraction is controlled in the Material. In PPV you can only enable or disable it.

I reported the problem with the Refraction with the bug submission form.
Hopefully there will be a fix soon…

Hey! I don’t know if you guys have figured this out already but I noticed a weird behavior for RTX translucent materials for IOR. It seems the specular value is what controls the IOR for some reason even though those 2 things shouldn’t be correlated at all.

Yes that’s it .
I just updated 4.23.1, unfortunately, both problems are still there. We must wait!
May be at the next update??

Same issues in 4.25. I feel like I’m not doing something right. Any solutions or workarounds besides the specular value on the material?

Tried setting material to two-sided (so light transmits through both sides)?

Hey! Did someone manage to solve this? I’m having same issues, UE 4.16 :frowning: