RTX 3060 12 GB vs RTX 4060 TI 8 GB

Which is more worth it? Does almost double the VRAM make it worth it? considering that I want to play and develop on unreal

In my experience any GPU ending with the ā€œ60ā€ is the crap version of the 70. The 80 is the overpriced buddy of the 70. If this is still the case (I run a GTX1070TI which is just awesome for unreal playing and dev), then go with the 70. You donā€™t need the most modern card unless you plan to develop for new features like DLSS and raytracing

I understand, but that doesnā€™t answer my question, is 8GB of VRAM with more graphics power (4060ti) more worth it than 12GB of VRAM and less graphics power (3060)? (and less technologies too)

only 4xxx cards will be able to take advantage of frame-generation. IMHO itā€™s worth it, and exactly why I bought the 4060 vs the 3060 (like literally just last week!). Itā€™s also what they might cook up for it in the future.

Extra RAM is great, but you DO have system-RAM. Feature-sets, chip-generation is forever.

Pardon, I would go with the 4060.

If they were for the same price, I would choose the 4060 Ti 8GB, though I wouldnā€™t want to purchase it at all.

If the 3060 is significantly cheaper, like it is here (and even cheaper when you consider the used market flooded with cards still under warranty), I would buy it instead.

While the 4060 Ti is faster, consumes less power and is newer, itā€™s not like the performance between the cards is worlds apart from each other. At that point Iā€™d rather save money and buy the significantly cheaper card with some extra VRAM, even if itā€™s slower.

Other worthwhile considerations would be RX 6700XT, RX 6800, Intel A770 16GB (check -current- level of driver quality and feature support for what you want it for) depending on your regional pricing.

The 4060 will outperform the 3060. The amount of VRam is not indicative of overall performance. With each generation of GPUs, the capabilities are much higher than previous generations. If you can afford either one, go for the 4060. Another way to put this into perspective is with the 3060 and the 3070 cards, the 3060 has 12 GB VRam but the 3070 has 8GB. The 3070 outperforms the 3060 in every way. Sometimes, VRam can be a placeholder or can be used to move more units. Consider the 3060 vs the 3060ti. The 3060ti also only has 8 GB of VRam. The sheer power and number of tensor cores is a better indicator of the actual performance of the card.

1 Like

Greetings @kuekua

This question may honestly be up to personal preference/specific scenarios. The 4060 in general will likely outperform the 3060 in almost every aspect. Gaming, UE, etc. RAM will not directly affect game performance unless your game is exceeding the amount of RAM your GPU has.(This is not usually an issue) The 4060 performance to me personally(This is just my opinion and not that of Epic) is the way Iā€™d go. I hope my input helps!

Since games are consuming more memory, having it all run on VRAM which is faster is always good, if the game need 10 Gb and uses 2 Gb from the system will be slower ā€¦
I think

For playing games, Iā€™d go with the 4060.
For Unreal Editor use, specifically, Iā€™d go with the 3060, because the VRAM difference will matter for levels that grow to at least moderate size.
And the 3060 can still play games :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having same decision problemā€¦

Not to beat my dead-horse above, but recall that chip-sets, feature-sets and hardware profiles are for the life of the card.

Buying into a newer family/chip-set is the best thing one can do to future-proof your card.

Extra RAM is great, but you can borrow system-ram nowadays, haventyaheard?

Almost always get the newer card if the price is about the same. An extra 4gig of onboard RAM is awesome but would you trade ā€˜capacityā€™ for a better chip that might help you down the line?

Future-proof your machines.

Besides when you go to build, itā€™s system RAM that really gets youā€¦