RTS Strategic AI

When playing an RTS single player, the opposing side is controlled by some sort of strategic AI. I’m just wondering how to go about this conceptually in UE.

All my googling has just lead to discussions about putting an AI controller on a pawn so the player can give it orders to move around. What I’m looking for is the higher level AI (that replaces the player) that decides on the actual strategy of play, i.e. where units should move to for example.

I assumed I would use a BT for this strategic AI, however that requires an AI controller, which in turn requires a Pawn. It does not appear to be possible to add an AI controller to just an Actor. I don’t need a Pawn as the strategic AI has no representation in the game world. All I need is the AI controller and its BT in order to feed it information about the game state and have it make decisions that can be relayed as orders to the units in its control.

Does anyone know if it is possible to create and run an AI controller without a Pawn? Otherwise the only other thing I can think to do is just create a dummy pawn with no mesh and spawn into the game world somewhere just to get its AI controller.

Unless of course there is a completely different solution to creating a strategic level AI that I’m not thinking of? Maybe an AI controller and BT is not a good choice for this type of AI at all, I don’t know? Any ideas?

So 5 minutes after posting this I discovered that you can actually use Spawn Actor of Class and spawn an AI Controller into the world without an associated Pawn. Makes sense, since AI Controller is a child of Actor. It appears to work fine and runs its BT without issue. I’m not sure if there are any other side effects to running an AI Controller without a Pawn, but I guess I’ll find out.