RPG Level loading battle help

Hi everyone,

I’m having an issue on my battle start for my RPG. It plays similar to how Final Fantasy 5-9 where you have a world map and then a battle state. I’m been trying to figure this out all day and not getting anywhere so I’m asking for a bit of guidance.

What I’m wanting to do once the random battle starts, load the battle stage, create all pre-req battle info/actors/stats/etc. and begin battle. What I’m doing currently is once battle starts, I will load a new level using GetWorld()->ServerTravel(). This works and the battle map is loaded but my player actor/controller/game mode is reset. I need a way to indicate that I am now in battle mode so I can clear my input from my PC and bind my battle inputs, load my enemies/party members and then start the battle.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

You need to use Game and Player instancing to store data inter-level, as the engine will reset everything normally.

Rama has a good article on what to do:

This looks like exactly what I needed. I’ll give it a try out tonight when I get to my dev machine and reply back if I have any issues.

Thanks shigan!