The Gashadokuro

Golem Kaiju

Post Hardware Upgrade

1 Like

ExORION Survivor WIP #1

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

To @PresumptivePanda. I sincerely appreciate the LIKES! Thank You.

Hey @TechLord!

Why ya gotta call me out for lurking? :joy:

All jokes aside, phenomenal work here friend! I shall continue to be fascinated with your projects for sure. Hope to see more of your skills being shown off in the forums (:

1 Like

Hi Frankie, these videos are very satisfying to watch, looks great and love how the perspective shifts - is that a feature of the game or just changing views in Unreal?

I’m a sound designer looking to push my skills more into fps (I’ve mostly done VR stuff) - I can see scope to take the sound to the next level here for example velocity-controlled rocket sounds, attenuation, and occlusion. Not sure if you have someone on board yet for sound but I think it would be a lot of fun to integrate audio middleware into this project and help create a more responsive world with sound.

Would be interested to know where you’re at now with the project.

More about me here -

1 Like

I appreciate the interest @magrotten. It is a feature of the game as a Multi-Perspective Shooter. On-Demand Perspective Switching achieved with V8 Super Cam. The Camera System is a lot of fun. A Cinematic Roller Coaster The Player can control.

The Game is still work in progress. I’m developing several in-game procedural generation sub systems for different needs. With the latest being a True 3D Perfect Maze-Driven World Construction System for interior and exterior architectural and environmental layout.

I’m also prepping and conducting test to migrate to UE5.

2 Likes

I really love the way you auto generate models. This will be a very unique game.

But i have a question about the models. I have seen in one of your images that you are using a lot of materials for a single model, are they all be this way?
Just curios about the performance.

Hi @Thorsten09. I appreciate the kind words. Performance is always a challenge with this approach and there’s always trade off. Several optimization techniques have to be used to squeeze as much performance as possible to include custom occlusion, object pools, instanced static meshes.

With OSMIUM, static meshes using same material are consolidated into a single Instanced static Mesh. In fact, that’s what OSMIUM originally started out as a Static Mesh to Instanced Static Mesh converter. OSMIUM generates a composite of multiple instanced static meshes, treated a singular object. The process is reversed to convert the instances into individual mesh actors for deconstruction/destruction.

Hi @TechLord, this system look very cool. And sounds really complicateted to archive.
Didn´t go into much instanced static meshes, I used to use it for boxes an stuf to combine, but i only used blueprints for it and i run into a lot of problems. In fact i cant even open the blueprints i tested this again (without chaning anything). So i skipped this for the moment.

But basicly this sound like the perfect way if you figured out to use it the right way.
So if i understand the basics of instanced meshes right you have to render only 1 object with 1 material with the trade of to have all the polys combined every time, right?

ExORION Migration to UE5 has begun. After a careful consideration, I’ve elected to refactor the project design using LYRA as the base. With that said, the Migration is not going to be a simple ‘Click Migrate Button’.

As of late, I’ve been tinkering with UE5 LYRA and Matrix City Sample. Inspired by the multitude of Super Hero demos following City Sample release, I created my own Super Heroes Demo as a introduction for myself to UE5. I’m now building on top of my current work to produce a public playable demo using LYRA as the base. This will become the new code base for ExORION Survivor to consolidate all of my efforts.

I’ve learned so much in the past month or 2 working with UE5 and there are many new features that will make ExORION Survivor better than I initially imagined. The Super Hero Demo will feature a version of the ExORION Soldier as a Playable Character which will be extend upon in ExORION Survivor.

3 Likes

I have a feeling everybody will change to UE5 at a certain point. I try this myself at the moment.
I guess it only depends how far you are with coding.
Even if you do not go for a realistic look, it just feels like it will speed up your workflow a lot because you dont need to think to much about the models you want to use.

Migration of Blueprints has been relatively painless. Static Meshes required manual enabling of Nanite. Emissive Materials may require modification to prevent ‘Dimming in Daylight’. I demonstrate the problem here with solution in the description. C++ Plugins will require recompile and in some cases you have to update paths as some classes have changed.

LYRA Framework introduces completely new concepts for me with its abilities and definitions etc. A sad truth is, it made several of Marketplace Assets I acquired for UE4 to use as framework obsolete:( Many Materials i used in UE4 are low res in UE5 and look terrible :frowning: I hope Publishers revisit and update resolutions for their packs.

1 Like