Rotate the player character without making it move wrong

I would like to rotate the player character, but using move component to the axes of the character get staggered and the right direction of rotation will not appear at the following movement inputs. how can I rotate the character correctly?

303262-2020-05-31-13-43-34.gif

Select Movement component of your character and check “Orient Rotation to Movement” as true that should fix your issue. Also try “Use Controller Rotation Yaw” in class defaults of your character.

I Hope this answer helps you,Cheers!

1 Like

thanks for the reply, but unfortunately neither of the two options, both enabled and disabled, has solved the problem of axis rotation, however you helped to expand my cultural background regarding the engine :slight_smile:

what @TonyStarick says… definitely experiment with this… try also posting a screenshot of your blueprint… the video clip definitely helps though

For Characters (not Pawns): the rotation of your character can be set in the following ways:

• Class defaults (Use Controller Roll/Pitch/Yaw)
  • Character movement component (Orient Rotation to Movement and Use Controller Rotation Pitch/Yaw/Roll)
  • Other ways, including physics (this is more advanced stuff, maybe not necessary)

For Spring Arms: The rotation of spring arm can be set also with Use Pawn Control Rotation, Inherit Pitch/Yaw/Roll. Rotation and Location Lag settings here will greatly help with smoothness and feel.

For Cameras: This can also be driven directly with Use Control Rotation

Depending on the feel/look that you are looking for. I’d experiment with your options. Honestly, from your video clip it looks like your character is moving in the forward direction of the camera (Camera Get Forward Vector). If you’d like it to move forward in the direction the character is facing, I’d use Get Actor Forward Vector and plug this into your Add Movement Input node.

what @TonyStarick and @DavidOConnor said should work. if it doesn’t, it might be because you programmed movement differently than intended in the UE Character architecture. take a look at the official tutorial (in UE docs) for setting up character movement if you haven’t already: Setting Up Character Movement | Unreal Engine Documentation