Root motion,No Move forward , why

Video demo:

I will set the CharacterMovementMode to Flying when using RootMotion, and it can move.You can try it.(I think only in flying mode can drive actor by rootmotion,I don’t know whether it is correct or not.)

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

looks like it is trying to move forward and is either hitting something or there is additional code modifying character position.

Try playing the animation on a default character in a default map. If it works, you know the character and/or map is the culprit

Humm This is one of those things that I would have to see the project file to figure out whats going on but I’ll take some guess at where things have gone sideways.

First it kind of looks like you are using a ready made BP that already uses in-place and trying to convert it to using Root Motion. If so from the start it will not work as the two are totally different as to controller input as to what is required to make root motion work as a replacement for in-place

Basic work flow.

Inplace.

Typical input comes from the character BP based on the input table which is the sent directly to the movement component based on a function that converts the input into the desired movement based on velocity. Pressing forward for example sets the forward velocity to the max value for example so off it goes by moving the capsule but does not animate the character, puppet in the box. Plenty of tutorials that show you how to do this and even the 3rd person template is something to look at as far as the movement functions are hooked up.

To make the animation work in the box what you need to cast for is what the current state of the movement component is and then trigger the animation migration pathway to the correct action based on the state of the MC. For example if the velocity of the capsule is > 1 then, and based on that velocity the animation played will either be a walk or a run.

Root Motion

RM as you see already contains the necessary data to hook up the key input directly, direct drive, so if you hook up the W, typical forward movement, that triggers the root motion as an “event” then off it goes. In theory you do not need to use a character BP or a movement component but that’s another story. You could say that all root motions are QT events as they do not require a movement component

From an animation perspective RM is direct drive where inplace is directed based on the behavior of the movement component.

As a primer and once again as a guess this is what I see as the result of the RM wanting to work but the movement component is holding the player model back as you have a conflict between the needs of two totally different controller requirements.

I also have questions as to the use of a montage for what would be a locomotion state which would be best served by the use of a blend space.

To see if this is the case here is a A-Z tutorial on how to make a Root Motion controller.

Be aware though that root motion is not ideal if you have network and replication requirements