It’s extremely frustrating. I tried multiple combinations of creating the the component as either default or optiona. Different property specifier. Nothing works. It works fine for any components that are UNDER the root, it doesn’t work for the root itself…
That answer looks like a horrible hack that I would rather avoid. Besides I already managed to get it working. It looks like Visual Studio has a hard time removing old binaries with 4.17, cleaning the solution and using the implementation like in (for example) ACharacter class’s CapsuleComponent fixed the issue.
What fixed the issue for me was copy/pasting the declaration of my root component exactly how Epic did it with their CapsuleComponent inside ACharacter class and then Cleaning and Rebuilding the solution inside Visual Studio. Not exactly sure if this was it, but after that the properties started showing up.
OK, I found it. Apparenly in 4.17 if I add
CollapseCategories = (“SomeCategory”)
to my UCLASS declaration macro, it will mess up the class in some random ways, including weird behaviour with some categories or fields disappearing completely instead of just collapsing it.
I had this issue too, but with a subclass of UCharacterMovementComponent. This solution wasn’t working for me, but thankfully clicking the “Open Selection in Property Matrix” button on the empty details panel allowed me to change the default values, just in a slightly clumsier way.