Rocket Racing > Fortnite map migration. When? How?

here’s me updating a track section. I don’t know if the lack of alt-drag-to-make-points is a bug, but this is what I’m forced to do.

these are always terrifying.

One thing I’ve noticed as well, the old ones had like a “not the main track” that turned splines blue for shortcuts.
I don’t see that here anymore.

gotta AFK.
so… 4157-6877-3835 is private version, so I can hop on with iphone later while I’m out.
dont’ want to waste a public thing yet.

Sorta works. Didn’t check the whole track. Took a shortcut and my RR car exploded and i fell out and I had to walk back to spawn, so just respawned.

Would be super cool if other cars could use boost pads. they can’t.

So about 2-3 hours for that session? I have half a dozen tracks? I should get faster at this as they go on.

OK here’s the results from today:
Rocket Lapsed Remix - Alpha 8425-5124-4358 by valleydweller - Fortnite

  1. Fresh project.
  2. switch to RR project
  3. migrate RR content folder into Fresh content folder
  4. close and restart UEFN (because voodoo)
  5. open Fresh Project. Open Migrated Level. (make default if asked?)
  6. Replace all old devices with new devices from the !BETA folder.
  7. Sessions will force Validation. Repeat the above until clean.

Result: clean FN racing level. Clunky but clean.
Core work done in a couple hours because manual track rebuild (non-automated, script will speed things up). Then a few more hours of doing stuff like adding other vehicles and grind rail, because when walking (if RR car crashes and explodes), this is a HUGE level.

Still needs a lot of work, but should be fully legal.

sanity checks.
Old device (left) new device (right).

No respawn/stable/off-track/etc in new device.

No more primary/etc support. just use additional tracks for shortcut segments?

Unlike RR, normal race checkpoints don’t have a “start/finish” checkbox, so we need to double them up?

The FN Mobile controls for the RR car… the d-pad is pretty painful.
Is there a straightforward way to change this? or change the defaults to the way the other cars work (thumbstick).
Has it always been like this?
Has nobody complained about it? do Rocket league players prefer this?

This comment might need to be its own thread.

Questions for dev about mental calibration (after) migrating from RR to FN

  1. lost functionality
    1. things like speed runs, and other things that were automatic before, any plans to support those in the Race Manager (if i’m not a dummy and they’re supported already).
    2. ghost cars
    3. RESPAWNS on/near track. In FN if your car explodes, you’re in for a world of slow walking. Any way to officially wrap that in? Do I just need to put actual checkpoint devices near all of my race checkpoints, and have a car sitting there? This is a pretty big hassle (that we can design around, obviously)… one of the “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone” things.
    4. lots of UI lost. Lap notifications and things. People are going to have to roll their own out of devices and/or verse (i guess there’d be a market for selling packs on FAB).
  2. Bridging the gap between RR and FN vehicles
    1. the RR car has TONS of tuning for speed, etc. the FN cars have none? I’d love to be able to have the same logic on all the vehicles, and just lock it out. Like I can drive an offroad cow catcher monster truck alongside an RR car.
  3. Replay value
    1. speaking of RR car tuning, allowing players to level up their vehicles, etc. Thrust, turbo, top speed, etc. Are those all accessible by verse?
      1. Can we start people out at .25 max speed and let them work up from there?
    2. I guess it’s already possible to have a low/med/high tuning pad, and we can lock players out of ones they haven’t earned yet? Or sell it. Or whatever.
    3. …

Gonna send for now.

“same project, switch brand to something other than fortnite, save, then switch back”
I did this with

vDrSR02-wreckage[FirstPlayable] 2579-8269-2200 by valleydweller - Fortnite Creative Map Code - Fortnite.GG

published.

  1. still had to do all of the device replacement, obviously.
    1. including deleting and replacing island settings.
  2. good: details page in FN lost the “rocket racing” bullet that it used to have.
  3. bad: lobby BG doesn’t work anymore when you select the map in Play. So there’s something that’s in the way there. I didn’t have this problem with a fresh FN project migration.

Not sure if I have more feedback.

weird that GG hasn’t updated the publish info yet.

these tracks that I did new from scratch / migrated OK as new islands

This one seems confused and still has the old date and brand.
I’ll check back in an hour or so.
it has my gameplay time logged on the chart. :man_shrugging:

edit: it caught up