Rhythm Game, working with BPM?

Hi there, I’m looking at how I can use Blueprints in UE5.2 to create a rhythm game. I don’t know of any features or abilities that can use BPM instead of seconds. I tried using delays and working out the value of a BPM in seconds but this proved to be too janky and inconsistent.

I’d essentially like to create a basic rhythm game that works similarly to this but I’d rather not pay for a plug-in and learn how to do it.

Hi Nova,

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of Quartz. I’ve never implemented it, but it seems aligned with what you’re asking.

1 Like

My post, related:

[UE5] Quartz, dealing with a variable BPM?

If your BPM is not variable, quartz seems the way to go to keep synced to audio. If you attempt to make something yourself by retrieving playback time of an audiocomponent, it will fail miserably because the results reported by this class are often entirely wrong.

2 Likes

@Roy_Wierer.Seda145 Thank you! This worked! I was able to find a tutorial on YouTube for getting events to be called in-time with the BPM of a song by using Quartz:
YouTube Vid

There is actually very few tutorials out there for using quartz for things other than dynamic audio so posting this here in-case anyone else is also looking for the same as this tutorial saved me from scratching my brain figuring it out alone!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.