Rhino + Unreal Engine 5.2.1 Datasmith Directlink Crash

Hello there,

A few days ago I started a new project by using the Rhino and the Datamsith Directlink system. However, recently it started to not link properly anymore (everytime I was trying to update the link, changes were not appearing anymore). Worse than that, now everytime I try to link enable the auto-update, it just crashes with the following message:

LoginId:99d457634b764bf753c188bcc3f7254c
EpicAccountId:e06aeee6a4fd4c89893003bc52725104

Assertion failed: StaticMesh->AsyncTask != nullptr [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\StaticMeshCompiler.cpp] [Line: 344]

UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_DatasmithImporter
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_DirectLinkExtension
UnrealEditor_DirectLinkExtension
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Would really appreciate any help on this!

Maybe some corrupt data in your project temp files.
Does the Rhino direct link work well in clean new project?

Hello! Yes, when I open a clean new project it works fine. But after a few reimports it always starts to crash again.

How to identify these files then and what can I do about it? I have to mention now I tried using the File Import option thinking that might be a more stable option. The few first times it goes fine but then at some point I reimport and I get a similar crash - same experience as the Direct Link mode. I tried reimporting the same file, reimporting a different file etc and I still get a similar obstacle.

It is very frustrating because I’m getting close to a deadline and I cannot afford always to restart my project from scratch. I can attach also the error I get through the Direct Link import.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Meanwhile I am trying to use the 5.3 version, let’s see if this helps with anything.

I’m having the same kind of arbitrary crashes in Datasmith Directlink between UE 5.2 and Rhino. Did you notice any improvements on UE 5.3? Thanks in advance!

1 Like