Retargeting UE5 Issues IK Rig

Couple problems with retargeting, hoping that they are user errors:

• root motion is completely ignored
  • target is a few feet off of the floor
  • some animations rotate the right wrist strangely (this one is probably an issue with the model)

I’m attempting to convert animations i own to a Character Creator 3 skeletal mesh. Man I hope there is a way forward, thanks for your time

I have found with root animation you need to make sure that the retarget chain doesn’t include this.

This was stoping my root motion. Also, make sure you set your root retarget as well in the IK Rig. If all that the only other place that I know could stop this would be here in the retarget asset:

Also, different goals can have an effect on this as well depending on their settings in the case for your wrists, but I would also play with the retarget chains and double check those. By default if it’s all setup properly and they are mapped properly then you should be okay, but those are the places I would look. I didn’t know that clicking on the retarget chain in the Retaret asset would also bring up more settings, so again I would check those and play with them, they look like this:

Following this video my root motion works correctly but with another issue…

This is the animation with a working root motion:

but if I enabled the “Force root lock” option, there is a movement between first frame and last frame:

First frame:

Last frame:

Any idea to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Hi guys, I had a lot of issues when it comes to use IK retargeting for ALS. As this system is using almost any Unreal Engine animation feature, I saw a lot of issues and started to work on them.

If you want to see how I fix them, I would highly recommend watching this series.

ALS Secrets - UE5 Manny Integration + Git Workflow

retargeting is a buggy POS. They need to fix it ASAP.

3 Likes

i had the same problem while trying to retarget my animations. Rootmotion ignored and character floating like its hanging in the air. What i did to solve it: In the IK Rigs of both character click on pelvis bone and set as retarget root. Then into your IK Retargeter set pelvis on “none”.

1 Like

If anyone still encounter some problems retargeting a Root motion animation with an ignored root movement I figured out that in the IK Retargeter, the Translation Mode (movement) on the Root node for the chain mapping is set to “none” by default, which result in the root node to rotate instead of moving in the retargeted Animation.

The solution is to change the “Translation mode” after selecting the root node on the chain mapping (in my case, setting the translation mode to Globally scaled did the trick for me)

2 Likes

I created a video on how to correctly retarget and debug root motion animations.
See #12 Rolling - IK Retargeting with TTToolbox 4 Beginners | Unreal Engine 5.1 Manny ALS - YouTube.

Don’t be surprised if you step into more retargeting issues. :wink:
Most topics I already covered in the series from the video, shared in this post.

Thanks a lot man, this is what I was looking for and what solved the problem in my case!

1 Like