Retargeting animation has deformed hands

Hello. I’m relatively new to unreal engine 5 and so far have had a lot of success with animation basics etc. Most of my testing has been from a few purchased animation packs, custom edits and mixamo. Up until recently I’ve been able to retarget and overcome any issues. I’m trying to retarget a few mixmo animations as a base to edit and keep getting this issue with the hands. I’ve verified that the skeletal mappings are perfect. Bone align with no issues except mixamo and I’m losing my mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The hands are deformed like some sort of star/cross pattern. Any ideas?

Hey @TinoPlusUltra! Welcome to the forums!

Do you think you could get some screenshots or something? Typically Mixamo and UE5 base skeleton do NOT play well together, to the point that there are multiple plugins on the marketplace that will do the work to make it happen.

A star/cross pattern seems strange to me… Maybe the keyframes for those bones? I don’t know, it’s hard to say without being able to see anything.

1 Like

I appreciate you helping man, i apologize for late response I was so new to this I didn’t really see the response. I wanted to let you (and possibly others) know that in order to fix this, I recreated the animation on another third party software and then re-added it to unreal. This immediately fixed my issue.

1 Like

My Fix action:

Hope this makes sense. In the final steps of retargeting, I exported all the animations to my chosen character.

Then I placed that same character back in as the source.

So now I have 2 of the same character in the retargeter.

For whatever reason, the character tries to take on the form of whatever skeleton is in the source, so why not replace it with your own character.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.