Retargeting Animation Failure

Hi,

I tried posting this to the forums be seem to have not had any answers yet so I am hoping someone here might have the solution for me?

I’m working on retargeting some animations but i seem to be running into the same issue over and over.

I’m copying the animations from quadropedal character to another but the back legs seem to have some flipping action…

So far I have worked out, its not the joint orientation. I tried exporting the original sheep and then reimporting it and retaget the anims back onto it with no changes to the skeleton and it has the exact same issue as when I am using my sheep rig.

I’ve tried tinkering with the retargeting options to no avail.

my main thought that might not be working is that during retargeting I’m using the Humanoid rig as my “Rig” and that it might be screwing something up but i can’t seem to find documentation on how to set one up for a different character to a humanoid. I suspect the issue is to set up a new “Rig” which is not the humanoid one but I can’t find any documentation on how to do so?

I’ve linked a video to this post in the hope that you might have some suggestions here…

best.

Hi!
It is possible to create any “rig” you want, and reuse them, you can also edit them. In the content browser, right click on the skeleton → Create-> Rig

There is an other asset that you may need, the BoneMapping. In your skeleton, once you have assigned a rig and set matching bones, there is the save button just below the rig selection. The same thing for this asset, you can edit the mapping itself later.

You can also try to set the retargeting to “skeleton”. On top of the bone hierarchy in the skeleton, there is a button “options” then “show retargeting options”. You will see on the right of each bone the translation retageting, you should try to set on “skeleton” at least for the legs.

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I’ve managed to create the new “Rig” now and it definetly gets me slightly closer. so now i am getting the correct rotation on the base joins it seems but they still seem to be pretty off and come in flipped?

I’ve attached another video which i hope shows my issue better

Thanks in advanced!

I forgot to mention one thing, my bad, the pelvis and root must be “Animation”, others can be skeleton. But I’m not sure it will fix the problem, it seems your skeleton have different roll than the one you are trying to retarget. Is it a sheep you downloaded or created?

edit : you can set bones to “animation” or skeleton" after retargeting