Resolves for up to 8 hours then crash every 5 min - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I get crashes when using the editor every 30sec to 5 mins. No correlation to activity. Then after deleting my intermediates, configs, ect…, restarting, sometimes several times. Often have to start the editor then rollback all the changes it makes in fork. It will resolve itself for 8+ hours. I work till end of day with no issues. Come back in the morning and boom. Crashing until I go through a 1-2 hour process to fix the project again.

One other maybe related behavior. Floor_400x400.uasset from starter content continually checks out as changed. No idea why, again I’ve tried everything.

Any idea what is going on? I’ve tried everything I can find online. I’m completely lost.

Hey there @TheDogtoy! I don’t believe the starter content to be at fault here, but best not to rule anything out. What kind of source control are you using that’s reflecting checked out in editor? Are you using a gitignore file? If not, some data that shouldn’t be synced could be causing issues when pulling.

Git. I can add the file to the git ignore bit i sus it is just getting dirty. May just remove the starter content

Agreed, I doubt that is the problem. What’s the full error stack it’s making on crash? I’m guessing a generic memory allocation error as mentioned in the title.

Thanks for taking the time.

It’s always a slightly different error code. Tends to be something like this. The address will change, sometimes all zeros. Once it’s unstable there are some others too but always engine code.

Fixing up redirectors/restarts/yada yada will sometimes fix it, but not 100% able to fix the correlation. I’ve tried everything I’ve found online from reinstalling drivers to changing my clock speed, to resetting my gpu settings.

This computer is also my gaming PC, so I play a ton of unreal games on it. No crashes. Instability is only in editor.
Editor: 5.4.4
PC: Windows 11, 13900k, 4090, 128 gigs ram.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000028

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32

This error specifically stems from GPU drivers (usually) as nvwgf2umx.dll is an Nvidia driver, so this one might be related but also might be multiple issues at play.