Resident Evil-ish Prototype game

Will you be releasing the source, or create a tutorial on how to set this up? I am very interested in creating a similar setup :slight_smile:

Looks spot on. Funny how this camera work is so strongly tied/associated with Resident Evil - I immediately feel the connection between these two.

Quite a few people are asking me about how i did the camera system.
Sorry if I havn’t Responed about the camera system much, but setting it up is quite easy on Blueprint.
http://s28.postimg.org/g42usbwjt/Fixed_Camera_BP.jpg

The Idea about this set up is the Camera collision are Placed and adjusted on level. you can change the Box collision Component to whatever size you need and you can add more box component if needed. You can Adjust the Camera Component by changing the camera transform. The event graph is just a Actor begin overlap, do set view target with blend changing the current player camera to the Camera BP Camera.

As for Making a tutorial about what I’m doing, I’m going to pass on that. I’m actully learning how to do the RE (or alone in the Dark Dos game) type of game by viewing video of Certain RE game and other games (Dino crisis) that has this kind of set up.

I’m also looking into setting up Meshes with realistic lighting like how Koola set his up. I might ask if someone would set up a Map like that for me so I can see the results of how the game would look like.

Update.

I added a Scrolling Camera. Just wanted to see if I can add a few more variation of tool.

Edit: Also I’m going to Start Streaming Soon. I apologize if anyone want wondering if I’ll be streaming or not. Twitch

Hi, JvtheWanderer, I’m working on something like this myself but it’s loads of work learning everything at the same time, so I’m looking for some people to collaborate with me.
I have a mansion hall designed and I’ve been trying to teach myself Maya. I have a character modelled and have him about half-rigged with the skeleton from UE4’s Animation Starter Pack and the stock animations that come with UE4 (the ones you’re using).
My plan is to set the game in 19th-century Ireland, which I predict is where we’ll stop being like-minded though I hope I’m wrong. None the less, that doesn’t mean we can’t help each other out sharing blueprints, animations, &c.
Would you have the Auto-aiming system in place yet?
How about the inventory system? Was it fairly easy to implement?
Cheers.

P.S. I’m a composer with professional sounds and ability. I’m trying to attach some images of my mansion hall, which is mostly but not entirely finished; the images however don’t seem to be attaching. Is that normal?

Nice! Love the progress. Can’t wait to see more :wink:

This brings back memories! The camera’s looking great. Have you begun prototyping the combat system yet?

I can’t express how happy seeing tank controls again makes me :smiley:

I never understood why people never liked the original RE controls- I think they are great and easy to use. It just made sense back when I played the original RE on PSX back in the day.

I’m also glad someone is playing with bringing this back, hopefully more commercial products adopt this control scheme; it’s great!

1 Like

Big fan of the camera system in the old RE games. Good replication so far.

That’s funny. I make a game like Resident Evil too. I mean, with this camera angles and the same controlls. But how did you get the sliding camera work?

If you think about it, RE control+camera system would be perfect for tablets or mobile. You can put more details and eliminate the need to control the camera.

I think they even announced not too long ago a RE 1 remake with HD graphics. But i’d rather play it on UE4!

Btw I knew this username looked familiar, I’ve seen you in my twitch dev stream!

That’s the 2002 remake with a graphics update. I can’t stress enough how worth it is to play it if you liked the classics. It may be the best one.

The Remake for Nintendo Gamecube is the same as the new one for the WII (the original one). And that Version is the best i’ve ever played. The Originial Resident Evil was a masterpiece,
but the Remake is better. But that’s my opinion.

But how good will the Remake from the Remake be?

The remake is miles better, improved in every possible way. But the one that they’re to release in January (I think it’s January) isn’t a remake of it, just a graphics update. There were no normal maps in 2002, for example, and they’ve been added. Overall, I think it looks odd, this new one, but for anyone that missed it given it was a Nintendo exclusive, you need to play the new HD one, which will be available on every platform. And Capcom have also said that sales of the HD remake will influence the direction they’ll bring the series, closer to or further from its roots. Not that I haven’t heard that from them before but I thought I’d mention it.

Just thought I’d offer the official UE4 documentation on the static cameras, which I actually found quite helpful.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/HowTo/UsingCameras/Blueprints/index.html

Ohh JvtheWanderer this stuff is amazing! Keep up the good work.

Can you post a extended tutorial, example project or something like that, the image that you post is not enough for me to understand it (I´m new in the engine)

Anyway I´ll wait for WIPS, I love this stuff!

hehe, I’m currently playing the Resident Evil HD Remaster on Steam - so this made me very happy. Looks !