One of the problems with the documentation for the multiplayer side of the work when creating a game with the Unreal Engine is that it is almost exclusively hand waving.
What I would love to see is a tutorial video series that demonstrates and elaborates on the GameInstance, GameState, PlayerController, and GameMode classes.
- It is always repeated that the GameMode should contain game logic, (e.g. win conditions)… but I have never seen anyone actually demonstrate this in any of the tutorials that I’ve seen and gone through about this. Everything just seems to be an after-thought, so to speak.
- In the Multiplayer Documentation, the GameInstance class is never brought up at all (please correct me if I’m wrong). I only learned about it and its usefulness by watching a Polish guy’s video tutorials on Youtube via English subtitles… but even then, the guy in the tutorial just assumed I already knew about it and hand-waved like with most everything else when Multiplayer stuff is concerned. I’d really love to see some more examples of how to use the GameInstance class in the form of a video tutorial or Wiki article!
- I understand very well the dynamics of Multiplayer locality (i.e. client-side vs server-side) from my experiences creating Multiplayer content in various games like in the Arma series… but I have never seen anyone explicitly demonstrate these things so that I can more easily wrap my head around the way that the Unreal Engine does this stuff.
- The most common problem that I see in every community tutorial (apart from a lack of brevity or basic video editing ability) is that the core concepts of what people are doing are never explained. Community tutorials are more about the “what” than the "why and that’s not good in my opinion. It certainly doesn’t help me because I can watch every tutorial on the internet and be able to create a basic, rudimentary game mechanic… but if I can’t use that knowledge to turn around and apply it to what I want to try and create on my own, then maybe your tutorial sucks.
- I would love to see a quality tutorial on RTS game mechanics with Blueprints (or even with C++). There are only a couple of very low quality examples of that right now. The best one is an 11-hour-long unedited video where a guy with a speech impediment says uhhh and breathes heavily into his mic for 6 hours, then spends the other 5 hours mumbling information. I wish I were joking.
I personally would love to make my own tutorials to help fill in these holes, but my lack of knowledge prevents me from being able to contribute. So I wanted to make this post as a sort of howl of frustration with what the community currently has to offer in the hopes that someone might hear it and either produce or point me in the right direction.