Requesting enlightenment of the current gaming industry happenings

Hi everyone,

I’m coming back after a very long break and I’ll be shortly starting my mega-project which is to build a game and release it by the end of this year with the primary target being mobile devices; PC and MAC as well. In light of the same, I would love to hear you guys’ inputs on the current happenings in the gaming industry in terms of the software’s being used to create games.

To my knowledge Maya, Zbrush, UE4, Photoshop are the primary ones being used to create games. Although there are many others as well, I would love to hear from you guys the names of the programs/software’s being used to create games as of today and the prospective programs/software’s which are/would enter the gaming industry in the near/far future.

P.S. I’m a single man team and any inputs would be highly appreciated!

Thank you :slight_smile:

3ds Max still going strong as ever, people tend to use software like World Machine for landscapes and whatnot. Houdini also seems to be pretty popular along with Substance and Quixel for texturing.

Substance Designer and Painter have replaced Photoshop as the primary texture application for games. Something like 80% of Polycount artists reported it as their primary app.

This. Last time I opened photoshop was about a year ago by accident.