[Request/] Higher Resolution Frame Output

My company is testing to see if UE4 would work for our application (large format video) and we cannot output at the resolution we need without a crash.

When I set the resolution to 28800 x 1080 (yes 28800 pixels) I get an error message when outputting frames from Matinee. If this were to work well it would be an awesome thing. We were able to get this to work in a really ghetto way in UDK which is why we became interested in Unreal 4, if it worked in Matinee it would be amazing.

The resolution that can be rendered depends on the graphics api (in this case d3d) and your gpu. The max allowed resolution from d3d is 16384x16384. Depending on what GPU you have, the actual size may be much lower. As a result the scene cannot be rendered at 28800.

In UDK we were able to render out frames at 28800x2560 just fine using console commands with tiled movie. I don’t think it’s impossible at all.

Here is how I got it to work:
C:\UDK\UDK-2013-07\Binaries\UDKLift.exe EpicCitadel -BENCHMARK -MAXQUALITYMODE -NOTEXTURESTREAMING -DUMPMOVIE -DUMPMOVIE_TILEDSHOT=12 -windowed -FPS=30 -ResX=2495 -ResY=180

If this works why could it not be implemented into the output window, at the very least have a tiled movie option.

The goal would be to be able to do it inside of Unreal.

It doesn’t actually have to render at that resolution, it has to output that resolution. I have no intention of playing a game at that resolution. This is for video production.

Our work-around didn’t render it at that res, it simply output it.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your request. I have created a feedback report and entered it into our feature request database. If there are any other features you would like to see in a future build of Rocket, please let us know.

Thank you,

Alexander