Repository for Assets, Tutorials, Tips/Shortcuts, Scripts, etc

Hi! My company started a public repository on GitHub to store any of the miscellaneous materials, scripts, knowledge, scripts, shortcuts, advice, and more. We’re going to be pretty frequently adding more and more stuff to this repository as we continue work on our first project: Steel Hunters](http://steel-hunters.com). Okay, done shilling. We’re adding more to this repo pretty frequently, so hopefully it doesn’t suck.

Along with this, me and a few of the guys that help out as they can have been maintaining a repository of generally useful things. Not all of it is UE4-specific, but there is a lot of UE4-specific stuff (primarily ‘shaders’ — which is my naming convention for any material of sufficient complexity to warrant the name — material functions, and some other misc. stuff. I promise they’re more useful than that sounds.

Finally, I’ll Shut Up and Link It

Update
I just pushed up Repo of Things v0.1.0; the changelog for this version is on that page (and the full one is in the root directory). It’s a complete overhaul of the organization/naming conventions, so old assets will be incompatible, but all of improvements/additions/changes made to the UE4 assets will, I think, be worth it.

Also of note: the FFT convolution kernel generator is awful right now; I had a completely backwards idea of how the FFT kernels were supposed to work, so that needs some work still.

And all of the READMEs need updated for this recent push but that’ll happen… Not now. hugs.

Just bumping this a bit since we’ve added some stuff here and there that people may find useful (and just released v0.0.4): GitHub - trentpolack/joymachine-public: All sorts of random publicly-available information, assets, sc

Of note:

• Added a simple overload of USpringArmComponent that can account for more than one ignored actor (the owner).
  • Added a file called AWESOME_SOFTWARE.md which has… Good… Software to use. (Though, alternately, you can read it on our blog).
  • Added a structure for general-purpose collision shape set for computing box/sphere/capsule shapes (rather than having to choose a specific one at code-time).
  • More general-purpose UE4 information.
  • Our personal company conventions for UE4 work (which are not standard, but may be helpful?). I do have to do a pass on this, though.
  • Added a better procedural water material set (though no textures, since I don’t have the rights to distribute those).
  • A whole bunch of (what I find to be) very useful git aliases.
  • And, if you use VSCMD or have Visual Studio that supports VB extensions, here’s a simple one which adds a timestamp to the beginning of the build output window, a timestamp at the end, and the total time for the entire solution build.

If there’s anything else people would like to see, just let me know. I’ve been working on a general-purpose physical movement component that’s more flexible than the character movement component (but still “fake simulates” physics, but can also actually physically interact with and respond to physical forces in the world), but it needs a bit more refinement before it’s ready to go live. Primarily, it needs to be able to progress from a primitive collision test, to a compound primitive collision test, to simple collision test per-sub-actor.

Nice stuff, mittense. Your link in the original post to Steel Hunters is broken.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about, it works just fine.

No, I didn’t retcon anything, why do you ask?

“SORRY! THAT PAGE DOESN’T SEEM TO EXIST.”

Retcon? I don’t understand. Just passing through, complimenting your work.

hahaha, so:
A) I thought you meant the link in my signature, so I quickly fixed it.
B) “retcon” is generally a television/narrative term where something is injected into the history of the story to make a current event plausible. So I fixed it real quick and said “I don’t know what you mean, it’s working fine.” It was a joke. I’m not good at jokes.

But I forgot about the one in the body of the post, so thanks for that. NOW that’s fixed. :slight_smile:

And I appreciate the kind words. :smiley:

Heh, I’m too overworked to notice such subtly. No worries. :slight_smile:

|‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾|
|   my brain    |
| feels squishy |
|_______________|
(\__/) || 
(•ㅅ•) || 
/   づ

I am so there with you (as the tweet that was from indicates).

I just pushed up Repo of Things v0.1.0; the changelog for this version is on that page (and the full one is in the root directory). It’s a complete overhaul of the organization/naming conventions, so old assets will be incompatible, but all of improvements/additions/changes made to the UE4 assets will, I think, be worth it.

Also of note: the FFT convolution kernel generator is awful right now; I had a completely backwards idea of how the FFT kernels were supposed to work, so that needs some work still.

And all of the READMEs need updated for this recent push but that’ll happen… Not now. hugs.

(yes this is a repeat of the update to the first post. it felt like how to proper bump this ****). — really. you edit the innocuous reference for a vulgarity. that’s just overkill, epic.

There are enough useful things in here that it’s sort of a crime there aren’t more people in this thread right now.