Replication errors in 4.18 close client connection to dedicated server

As reported here:

I’ve been hacking at this issue for a couple of weeks and I have come to the conclusion that it’s an engine bug.

Hey Rhynedahll,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Just wanted to let you know I’ll be looking into the issue and I’ll get back to you with more info after my investigation.

In the meantime, if you can let me know if this also occurs for you in 4.17.2 after you build it, that would be great.

Also, could you provide a project that showcases the issue? It would be helpful if I could take a look at it and debug to see what’s going on. If you can, and would like to do so privately, you can PM me a link to Dropbox or Google Drive on the forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/member/160394-sean-l

Our project is rather large, but I’ll see if I can upload it to Dropbox overnight. I’m working on reverting to build a 4.17.2 version, but we were up to date prior to updating to 4.18 and had no problems at that time, so I am certain that the issue did not exist in 4.17.2

Just realized that one difficulty with our project for you is that it requires our launcher to start the game and must connect through our db server also. You wouldn’t be able to run the game w/o an account and so forth.

Ah, understood, let me pop in on the original thread and see if I can get a project from one of the others. Thanks for following up

Did you manage to get a project from one of the others?

Not yet, unfortunately.

I’ll try to get our project uploaded tonight. It’s 12 gig zipped.

@SeanL The zip file of our project is too large for Dropbox and chokes the string-and-two-cans internet connection that we have down here in the swamp. We’re sending the file offsite to have it uploaded to our FTP server. We hope to have it available to you by Monday 2 Dec 2017 and will PM you the details if all goes well on the UE4 forums.

After trying several different avenues, we managed to upload our project to hubiC. The file is 12.75 gig. You shouldn’t need an account (I think). I’ll PM you the link in the Unreal forums

As another point of data, I just made a new 4.18.1 project, migrated the content over, and rebuilt both server and client. This version also disconnects immediately. (Running server on local network machine)

Have you been able to download our project files?

@SeanL Have you dropped off the planet or are you still working on this?

The download took several hours, so I had to leave it running overnight. It looks like it’s completed though, so I’ll take a look and see if I can get any further information from it. It’s possible that this will take a few days, and I’m not sure what results it’ll yield, so I appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide the project.

Thanks for the reply. Whatever the results of your investigations, please provide updates as we are unable to move forward at all with 4.18.1. We are adverse to reverting to 4.17, but will if 4.18 is irretrievably broken.

Looks like the zip file downloaded, but didn’t contain all of the files (potentially a download error somewhere along the line since it was left overnight). If you could upload the files to a different service such as Dropbox or Google Drive, we are typically able to get better download speeds and experience less errors when grabbing files from those sites.

Also, I noticed you’re using the following:

        {
		"Name": "LowEntryExtStdLib",
		"Enabled": true,
	},
	{
		"Name": "LowEntrySocketConnection",
		"Enabled": true,
             }

Are you actively using both of those plugins? If so, we’ll need a clean repro that isn’t using third party plugins.

Which files are you missing? I removed all the locally generated files (VS solution, binaries, Saved, Intermediate, and so forth.) My expectation was that you would need to generate a new solution on your end.

I asked whether you would have access to the plugins in one of my forum pms. The LowEntry plugins are the basis of our db connection and without them nothing will work at all.

Removing them would necessitate the removal of large parts of the PlayerController bp and once that and all the associated bps are removed, the end result would not be at all representative of our project to any appreciable degree.

If you are not able to move forward with this, please let me know as soon as possible.

I’m going to try and download it again to see if I can get the full project, it appears that the .uproject was not present in my original download, which like I said was likely due to connection issues overnight.

I’ll get back to you when the download is finished and I have a chance to take a look at the files.

In the meantime, if you have come across anything during your own debugging that may be useful, besides the warnings and errors you shared in the other thread, feel free to provide that info as well.

Thanks again

I may have failed to include the .uproject file. If there had been a download error, the original zip would have been corrupted. The .uproject file is here: Dropbox - File Deleted

Please let me know when you get the project file from dropbox, as I would like to delete that file afterwards