Download

Rendering Sound Waves...

UE4 Editor has a class for rendering sound waves called USoundWaveThumbnailRenderer.
As a test, I used this to render a sound wave to the player’s HUD. Why the HUD? Because the implementation uses UCanvas.

I would like to bring it out of the HUD and into Slate/UMG, but it appears that UCanvas is a different system altogether. This post has a great breakdown of Slate vs. UMG vs. Canvas.

Now I’m thinking about alternatives and looking for ideas and suggestions…

Cheers.

You could use Synesthesia’s Non-RealTime analysis to generate data tables for a waveform widget.

Hey @dan.reynolds, thanks for the response. It’s not really a question about getting data, per se. I have access to the raw waveform data already. It’s more a question about the best way to render (potentially large) amounts of data.

I gave Dear Imgui a try and here is the result:

And here’s the waveform drawn inside the player HUD, with an Ableton Live window for comparison:

I even thought about using the Curve Editor in UMG. An unsuccessful test:

But I should probably circle back to creating a waveform widget in Slate…

Here’s the result in Slate, with a comparison to the original asset in the Content Browser:

There seem to be artifacts in the render, but as far as I can tell, the code is identical to the thumbnail renderer. If I zoom in, you can really see it:

Oh well, I’ll keep poking away at it. It was a fun journey!

Cheers.

So one of the big differences between the Ableton and the asset waveform renderer is that the Ableton one more accurately displays waveform bias.

I think Ableton has created a mono channel for rendering, so the waveforms will looks slightly different as well.

Sequencer uses an waveform renderer as well, it’s called FAudioThumbnail, but it isn’t publicly exposed.