rendering a 360 Panorama (Cyclorama) to 8 screens

Maybe not marketplace, but some tutorial (or example like) with just boxy room and your C++ code.
That is if you want to share it, i am sure there are many people that could use it for multimonitor setup for their games etc.

Yup, I’ll do that!
While I was starting with UE4 about month ago I noticed that a few others were also talking about how to create a panorama/cyclorama.
The way I did it is basically just using very basic everyday c++ code taken from a UE4 tutorial and in particular your advice! And lot’s of playing around with UE4, of course.
While I’ll be using this for for my PhD project in Neuroscience, it probably has great use in video installations. I am thinking about an awesome underwater scene, like an ancient sunken city presented on huge screens. And you’re right in the middle of it! I’d pay money to see that!

UH i always wanted to make virtual aquarium out of my 3d monitor and unreal, but doing this on 8 monitors would be awesome.
Tried playing games with 3d but while it looks cool it makes very hard to aim, also quite dizzy after 1 hour of shooting.

The maze mentioned at the beginning of this thread looks like this.

I would definitely like to get a project of this. To me if there was a way to contribute a few bucks on the marketplace or via pay-pal, I would certainly do that. I do 3D Viz and R&D for a company that specializes in theme-parks and would love to experiment with this.

Yes, an example project of this would be great!

No problem. Coming soon! I’ll just add things mentioned in the original description. E.g. I need bidirectional network communication with my object tracker used for tracking the position of the viewer V inside the cyclorama.
Also, I am gonna build the frames for the screens, which involves a lot of 3D-printing. I’ll post pictures soon.
Nawrot’s idea to make it a “multiplayer game” is really great, because now the whole application scales tremendously well.

will be following this thread closely :slight_smile:

I can’t just upload the whole project, because it would be too large.
Github maybe? I would make a very basic example project without starter content. Just a player with all the cameras, the c++ code for movement and the simple maze.

Hi,
I hope this will make things more clear:

The basic setup is similar to what this guy does: UE4 Tutorial - Create a Movable Player Character From Scratch - YouTube
The player is an empty character, because it already got all the movement logic you want.
The key binding for this character are set in the project settings “edit->project settings” The keys are the usual A,S,D,W in my project.
Instead of handling the keyboard inputs using blueprint, I am using a C++ class, since I need more movement related C++ in my project.
The cameras I have placed into the scene are all attached to the character. You can attach those cameras using drag and drop in the menu or by right clicking on a camera an select “attach” Attaching cameras to the player makes sure, that they automatically move with the player.
For the first camera you select “Auto activate for Player 0”, for the second camera “Auto activate for Player 1” and so on. This basically assigning a view/camera to a specific player.
Right now you only have a single player game, but you can change the number of players by clicking right next to the Play-Button in the Unreal Editor and change the number of players to up to 8 players.
Starting the game will create windows equal to the selected number of players and spawn a player instance.
You can only actually play/move the character in window 0 and – weirdly – it’s all you actually need!
And this took me quite some time to figure out, since I have never used UE4 before starting with this project.
My first plan (see my posts) was to actually propagate the movement of player 0 to all the other players, but since all the other players just need to see what player 0 sees through one of his cameras, they don’t actually need to move! Hence, in retrospect you can probably get away without C++. I just really need it!

Does anyone know how to receive hit events for ACharacter?

This is just great!
Did you managed to run multiple computers with your project?

Right now I am only using a single computer. For my exact purpose I a can get away with very low quality graphics. The awesome thing with the multiplayer approach Nawrot suggested is that it scales very well, naturally, because I am essentially just using builtin features of UE4, which are all tuned for high performance.
I am still looking for a solution on how to receiving hit events for ACharacter.

Hey ,

i could really need some example code of your project. It would be ok to get it without any Scene content. I am doing something very similiar but unfortanetly I could not rebuild what you and Nawrot have described in earlier posts.
Thus it would be really great if you could open up a github or send me an email.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, what exactly is the problem? Just tell what works and what not. I am more than happy to help and explain.
I have already posted the actual code. The rest of your problem is most likely a configuration problem.

I have been dealing with a nasty problem regarding lightdm. Turns out that lightdm runs into problems using two graphics cards and up to 12(13) displays at the same time:-D Obviously, I need to have one window for each screen. The solution is very simple – if you know it! Simply use SDDM instead of lightdm, and you are ready to rock! It took me ages to find that out…

I managed to get different windows for the cameras but i dunno how to attach them to a single screen. So that i have got a screen per player. I would be great if every playerwindow could also be rendered stereoscopic.

Well i got one camera attached (player 0) to another screen but in launch where i can change screen position due to engine code i can not show any other player at all yet

Is that what you want?

i want a window per player so I can move them (manually or using code) to different computer screens. And using a Multiplayer setup automatically does that for me.
I am sure you can render everything into one giant window and also render stereoscopically. It’s just not what I want. Also, you need an enormously powerful computer computer for that. I want one computer using two graphics cards to render each of the eight camera’s view to a separate window.