Render Virtual Texture with Parallax occlusion mapping activated

Hi Guys, I was working on a cool landscape with tons of fun feature. I’m using the POM material to create relief on small objects and fake shadow on my material. As you can see on the image below.
After creating the same effect on most of my material. Seeing that the cost of my landscape material started to get huge. I decided to try the new RVT system and bake everything onto a virtual texture. But It cannot do so. Each time I plug a material with a parallax effect onto the rvt output node. The generated effect will look absolutly distorded. (as you can see in the second image)
I don’t know why It appears as the rvt capture the landscape from a top down view. (it should still captures it despite the parallax effect on the material?).
The goal is to blend between the rvt and the normal POM shader based on the camera distance.
If anyone has any ideas of how I can fix this I would love to hear.

Regards
HoMaRt

Virtual Texture rendering indeed is like capturing it from a topdown view
you probably want to capture into the RVT without POM and use your regular POM when close right? there’s a VirtualTextureReplace node to filter when something goes into RVT or when it goes into regular render: Runtime Virtual Texturing | Unreal Engine Documentation

1 Like

Yes that was it, thanks. Is there any way to use the whole virtual texture sample generated with its height (from the output) to create directly the parallax effect on the rvt instead?

1 Like