render to texture for UV0 of a Static Mesh

Hey all

So I have setup a complex material graph that I want to bake the base color down to a single texture that takes the objects UVs into account.

I’ve followed a couple of tutorials for rendering a material emissive output to a render target - that is super straight forward, but doesn’t take an object’s UVs into account…

I have also followed some really old docs on Rendering an Unwrapped Static Mesh Material to Texture - which was written for UE4, however I cannot get that working at all in UE5 with my setup.

Has anyone accomplished something like this in UE5?

Cheers!

I can read this in 2 ways:

1. You want to render a 3D object and get a 2D result as a texture (think of the prerendered 2.5D games like mariokart N64, Mortal Kombat), but this basically gives you just a texture on a plane.

2. you want to mix shaders onto a model and finally output a set of texture to control the shader. (painting in Quixel Mixer)

What should the result look like? you want to keep the UV of the model then you are thinking of something like Quixel Mixer?

I don’t know of a way to merge + export this from the editor, it’s something you usually do on the source files.

So what I really want to do is bake the output of a shader graph onto object UVs - exactly like texture baking in substance painter.

I have a node graph where I combine a bunch of stuff in Unreal, and output it to the base color - and I have this material assigned to the object.

Lets say this object is a character, and the shader is triplanar projecting a grid in the base color over the character. I want to bake out that grid to a texture in the character UV space, so I can just use the texture, vs the shader setup.

1 Like

I see I was thinking of something else and that I’m not too familiar with baking. Have you seen this? He exports material data and is able to select the channels as well.

https://youtu.be/vWTwDFEMLiE?t=149

Are the exports missing parts? It looks quite right on the video.