Renaming Actor Components bugs out other Actors

Alright so this is a weird one:

I have various Actors with Collision Components that Trigger Overlap Events. These Components had their default name on each Actor (Box). Now I renamed one of those Collision Component from “Box” to something else, let’s say “Everest”. This caused Overlap Events from other Actors to be replaced with the Everest Overlap Event. Replacing that Event fixed it. Later I renamed another “Box” Overlap to “Mountain” and it did the same.

1. Actor A has a Collision Component
    called Box and a Overlap Event
    OnComponentBeginOverlap (Box).
  2. Actor B has a Collision Component
    OnComponentBeginOverlap (Box).
  3. Actor B’s Box is renamed to Everest
  4. Actor A has a Collision Component
    OnComponentBeginOverlap (Everest). BUG

Try recompiling both blueprints when you make a change to the event name. Does this fix the error you are seeing?

Tried, doesn’t fix it. Should I send you the Project? It’s the same one I had sent you for the UE-25632 case.

Do you have any specific steps I can take to reproduce this on my end? Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content or is it limited to one project?

So far its only limited to one Project, I tried to recreate it the most simple way in a clean project by just creating a few actors, adding Box Collisions and overlap events to them which didn’t break on rename. So it seems to be more complex.

I just noticed it originally after renaming the Collision component of one actor - it caused other actor overlap events to dysfunction due to the Overlap Event node being replaced with the renamed Event from a dif Actor (which has different collision settings).

Do you have a sample project I can take a look at that this is occurring in? I’ll be happy to see if I can reproduce this on my end.

Hi AlexW88,

I’m a little confused as to what exactly is occurring. What should I be looking for and what is it supposed to be vs. what it currently is? I’ll be happy to continue assessing what is occurring, however currently it is difficult to know what exactly should be occurring as opposed to what is occurring.

Well,
Supposed to:
If Actor A and B has a Box collision Component and Overlap Event Node for that Collision component, Actor B shouldn’t be affected when Actor A’s collision Component is renamed.
If I rename a Collision Component of one Blueprint, it shouldn’t rename/relink Events of unrelated Blueprint.

What happened 3 times is:
If Actor A and B had a Box collision Component and Overlap Event Node for that Collision component, Actor B had its Event node renamed when Actor A’s collision Component was renamed.
Renaming an Blueprint Collision Component causes other Blueprints Overlap Events to change their name/collision settings.

In the Sample Project the “Terrain” Blueprint Actor had a collision component called box and an Event for it. When I created a Collision Component for the “Skier” Character Blueprint and renamed it from Box to “Testlap”, Not only the Skier Events were renamed to “Testlap” but also the Overlap Event node from the Terrain Blueprint was renamed to Testlap.

Personally for myself it’s not a big deal, I can just delete and recreate the nodes to fix it. But it looks like something that may potentially have a critical root.

I just reconfirmed it:

• Recreate the Box Collision Event for
    Terrain BP (Left part of Screenshot).
  • Create a new Box collision Component
    at Skier, rename it from box to AHA
  • Check Terrain BP - The Box Collision
    Event was renamed to AHA (right part
    of Screenshot)

Hi AlexW88,

I was able to reproduce this and have entered a bug report, UE-26168, to be assessed by the development staff.