Remote build on MAC fails with SSH not found by RSync


I can’t get remote compilation to work with Mac OS High Sierra. I generated the SSH keys, installed DeltaCopy, I can SSH in the machine, seen and reachable on the local network, installed XCode on the Mac.

Do I need to install anything on the Mac?

Here is the first error from Visual Studio running on the Microsoft Windows PC.

2>  Reflection code generated for MyProject in 4.0491604 seconds
2>  rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)
2>EXEC : rsync error : error in IPC code (code 14) at /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/pipe.c(84) 
2>  rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
2>EXEC : rsync error : error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/io.c(632) [sender=3.0.4]


2>UnrealBuildTool : error : Received the wrong number of results from BatchFileInfo
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(46,5): error MSB3073: The command ""D:\Programs\Epic Games\UE_4.19\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Rebuild.bat" MyProject IOS Development "E:\Drive\Media Full\Projects\UE\MP\MyProject.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code -1.
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I have been on this for a couple of days now. I tried everything I could find. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi, I can see this thread is quite old, but without answers, so here I am, trying to find a better solution for the same thing.

The issue is that for some unknown to be reason RSync is not working correctly when you have another ssh.exe visible in your path. What Is working for me is just searching for all ssh.exe’s and renaming them.

For example I have Windows 10 with Openssh module installed and a Git with it’s own ssh. When renaming them to something else this do work, but it’s not ideal solution.

From cmd you can find them by writing “where ssh.exe”.

Anyways give it a try as this can get you started.

I just fix this by changing the “ssh” to “./ssh”. After searching for this before making new pull request I found somebody already did the same change. This is the commit from the pull request:

Oh man you are a life saver!!! Thanks so much for this. I’ve been debugging all day to get this working. Almost gave up and went home and stumbled onto your post.

Very happy with this solution! Thanks again!