Remap the right click mouse button in the editor viewport to something else

Hello.

Due to a disability, it hurts when having to constantly hold down the right mouse button for long periods of time. I would like to remap the right mouse button’s action (mouse look) in the editor viewport to the middle mouse button. The preferences screen doesn’t seem to have anything like this. Maybe I need to edit some config file?

Currently I’m thinking of using an AutoHotkey script to reverse them, only when the UE4 editor window is in focus. I’ve done it before with other software that reversed the zoom on the mouse scroll button (scroll UP remapped to scroll DOWN for some strange reason), but I’m hoping for an cleaner solution than that.

Please help. Thank you.

1 Like

Ok, here’s the AutoHotkey script (you can grab it from autohotkey.com):

#SingleInstance, force
#NoTrayIcon

Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.14\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.14\Engine\Binaries\Win64

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe UE4Editor.exe

RButton::MButton
Return

MButton::RButton
Return

It works, but it’s not as efficient as an official feature would be. It basically switches the Right Mouse Button with the Middle Mouse Button (but only while working inside UE4). This applies to the entire program, not just the viewport, which is a bit inconvenient when trying to bring up the right click context menu for some UI items.

Is there anywhere I can submit a feature request? A “Mouse Settings” item below the “Keyboard Shortcuts” in the preferences menu would be nice.

Yep, it should be great to have presets like “navigation:Maya”, to not break brain every time when you switched between packages with different navigation methods.

for anyone how hurts holding right click mouse, u can do this.
Edit > Editor preferences > Viewport > Flight camera control type > Use WASD for camera control

I “resolved” this issue by using the keyboard/mouse software. I have a Corsair keyboard and a CoolerMaster mouse, and in both cases you can set them up to toggle the right click, so I don’t have to keep pressing the right mouse button.
Depends on what you have - I couldn’t do this with Razer or Logitech mice. You could also look at X-Mouse, but I haven’t played with it.