[RELEASED] [SUPPORT] Moore's RPG Template

Support Thread for the Moore’s RPG Template (formerly known as the RPG User Interface Kit)
A High Fantasy Single Player RPG Template

Marketplace URL: https://unrealengine.com/marketplace…-interface-kit

Please post suggestions or support requests here or in the Discord Server and I shall endeavour to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you,
James

Version History

• 21-Nov-2019 - Initial release (version 1.0 released for UE 4.23.1 only).
  • 20-Dec-2019 - Released version 1.1 for UE 4.22.3, UE 4.23.1 and UE 4.24.1. These are currently being reviewed by Epic Games. The new User Guide is here. See the What’s New section of the User Guide for details of the changes.
  • 25-Dec-2019 - Added How Tos Q12 and Q13 to the v1.0 User Guide
  • 09-Dec-2021 - Released version 2.0 for UE4.25, 4.26 and 4.27. Renamed to Moore’s RPG Template. Added Save game system, combat system, NPC combat AI, gamepad controls, main menu, options menu, sample knight character, sample animations. Increased price to $199.99.
  • 11-Dec-2021 - Version 2.1 released
    • Added LookAt functionality to all NPCs so they look at the Player Character when closer than 3metres.
    • Changed the initialization sequence so that the game can be started from the StartingLevel instead of the MainMenuLevel.
    • Power is now deducted after chargeable spell is released instead of when it is being charged up.
    • Fixed bug where too much power is consumed by spell casting if clicking multiple times in quick succession during a spell cast.
  • 12-Dec-2021 - Updated the Trello Roadmap - See below for links.
  • 12-Jan-2022 - Version 2.2 released
    • Added Perk System - 12 included perks across 3 skills (4 perks per skill, Swords, Archery and Alchemy)
    • Added Skill Levelling System (using a sword in combat results in Sword skill increasing etc)
    • Added Level Up System (a datatable defines required XP for next level)
    • Ingredient Harvesting System (static mesh changes when harvested)
    • More Complex Damage Calculations : Strength attribute affects melee damage; Dexterity attribute creates a chance to avoid melee damage; Armour rating calculated by armour worn reduces melee damage taken
    • New Spells: Heal Other, Heal Self, Conjure Food, Invisibility spell (graphics improved, now shows shimmering effect)
    • Some spells now also cause body to briefly glow like in Oblivion/Skyrim
    • Various bug fixes
  • 25-Apr-2022 - Version 2.3 released
    • Added 4 Shields perks (Shield Mastery, Agile Blocking, Deflect Arrows, Elemental Resistance)
    • Added 4 Destruction perks (Destruction Mastery, Intensified Heat, Frost and Shock)
    • Added 4 Stealth perks (Perforate Artery, Detect Traps, Back Stab, Sneaking)
    • Added power attacks (hold down LMB)
    • Added dodge (double-press movement key)
    • Added spell Magic Sphere (homing missile)
    • Added spell Sense Life (nearby NPCs glow, even through walls)
    • Added spell Fear (point blank area of effect on nearby NPCs)
    • Added stealth mechanics (crouching, dexterity and stealth skill reduce chance of
      detection, heavy armour worn or standing up increases chance of detection)
    • Made background of inventory widget transparent
    • Improved NPC AI (now able to circle, retreat or flee, now also uses hearing perception)
    • Added a bear trap static mesh and BP_Trap blueprint
    • Added a dagger static mesh
    • Blocks/parries are now only successful if facing the attacker (180 degree angle)
    • By default a successful block or parry now costs 10 stamina points. To be reduced with a shield/parry perk.
    • Added new skill called Shields. Removed old skills Small Shields, Medium Shields, Large Shields.
    • By default , arrows can no longer be blocked or parried unless you have the Deflect Arrows perk in the Shields skill.
    • While blocking , the movement speed is reduced to Walking Speed (150) by default (unless you have the Agile Blocking perk for the Shields skill)
    • Various bug fixes
  • 31-Jul-2022 - Version 2.4 released
    • Added mount system
      • Added 1 horse
      • Added 1 horse tack
      • Added horse blueprint
      • Added animations for walk, trot, canter, gallop, jump, eat, idle, turn left, turn right, rear up on 2 legs
      • Added sound effects for horse
      • Added mounting and unmounting animations for human
      • Combat while mounted not implemented
      • Mounting while weapon out not possible
      • Mounting from either side of horse possible
      • Horse leans to side when turning at canter speed or higher
      • Horse jumps only at canter speed or higher
      • Horse rears up on 2 legs instead of jumping when stationary
  • 28-Aug-2022 - Version 2.5 released
    • Added Dialogue system
      • The previous quest UI is no longer used although it can still be used if the Use Dialogue System boolean variable in the NPC actor details or blueprint is set to FALSE.
      • Uses 3 new data tables to define which NPC can have which dialogues/conversations with the player and what responses the player can choose from.
      • Uses 2 new widgets for displaying the Dialogue UI
      • Dialogue can be written and spoken (sample dialogue included)
      • Quests can be started through the dialogue system
      • Charisma checks can be forced for chosen player responses that result in specific further dialogue according the charisma check result.
      • NPC Combatants can start dialogue with the player when seeing or hearing the player. If the player passes a charisma check then the NPC will not attack the player.
      • NPC Traders can have a dialogue with the player before the Trading UI is shown on screen.
  • 15-Sep-2022 - Version 2.6 released
    • Added Follower system
    • Fixed some bugs
  • 03-May-2023 - Version 2.9 released
    • V2.9 is now available for download from the Epic Launcher.
    • The changes include a map, minimap and compass system, fast travel system, loot table system and a sample landscape.
    • Also the Medieval Buildings Volume 1 is now included with it.
  • 27-08-2023 - Version 2.10 released
    • Added an improved knight character with skeletal meshes that closely matches the Metahuman (male, tall, normal weight, LOD1).
    • Added improved plate armour and cape skeletal meshes.
    • Migrated the skeletal meshes and animation assets to the UE5 skeleton.
    • Improved the loot system so that each NPC and container can be assigned to a unique loot table.
    • Containers contents/loot are now configured by a datatable.
    • Converted many hard references to soft references to improve load time and memory usage.
    • Fixed several bugs.

A Discord Server is available at MooreGameDev

Trello Roadmap : Trello
Join my Trello Roadmap / board and add comments/suggestions here: Trello

Kia ora

This is the blueprint for my TP-FP character, I think (sorry can’t remember now) a lot of the code on the right is from you other project (Bottom right) the top right I think is toggle firts, third person
the issue I have mostly is when I try copy this stuff accross to another charater I get variables allready in use erors and I don’t know how to get thos variables for the code to use. I can right click and remake ot updat the debug and cameraToggled BUT adding the FP_Cramera it adds a 1 on the end.

The “Zoom in and Out” and the code over on the right is added to the Quang character, I removed the VR code because it errors in your project and I won’t be using it anyway. I’m just not sure what to copy where

I notice that adding you other project to this one there no player interface to use so the Medieval Village does not work, shame they don’t work together

Kia ora Kiwi-hawk,

I recommend that you start off with my RPG User Interface Kit. i.e. Go to your *Vault *in the Epic Games Launcher and locate the RPG User Interface Kit asset then click *Create Project *button underneath the words RPG User Interface Kit.

Then modify the *BP_RPGUIKit_FirstPersonCharacter *class to have the desired skeletal mesh and additional functionality such as zoom out/in controls to achieve your desired third person functionality.

You will need to at least add a Spring Arm and another *Camera *to the Components section to achieve this. I recommend that you open up a sample project containing the Third Person Character template and examine its Spring Arm and *Camera component settings *and how the mouse is handled within the Blueprint *Event Graph. *You will also need to add nodes that allow you to switch between the 2 cameras. Do you need help with figuring out how to do all that?

To add interaction with the doors, shutters, chests and candles from the Medieval Buildings Volume 1 you need go to your Vault and add the Medieval Buildings Volume 1 asset to your project that you just created. Then do the following:

1. Drag in the BP_Inn_A into your world. It may take 30 seconds to finish loading it once you let go of the mouse button.
  2. Open the /MedievalBuildings01/FirstPersonBP/Blueprints/FirstPersonCharacter class
  3. In the Event Graph select and copy the following nodes :
  4. Open the /RPGUIKit/Blueprints/BP_RPGUIKit_FirstPersonCharacter and paste those nodes into the Event Graph near the top here:
  5. Join the Process Other Interaction node to the LineTraceByChannel node that you just pasted in:
  6. Now you can Compile, Play and see that you can now open the door.
1 Like

Thank you for that tutorial mate

The trick for me I think at this point is getting the Quang female skeleton and animations to work under your controller so she’s not running like a bloke.
I’ve taken this

UE4Editor_20191213_124456.png
And this

And pasted them both here

Hoping I got this much right and just need to get the character working

Looking good mate. Were those Toggle First/Third Person nodes copied from the Quang character blueprint?

By the way I recommend that you select large groups of nodes like these and then right click them and select Collapse to Function to tidy it all up into a single node.

Yes had a use help me by writing the toggle code I could had to my Quang charater that was copied in along with that code from the Medieval Village
spose I best drop this in there too?

UE4Editor_20191213_142529.png

If I want the Zoom feature

I wonder if having a character like this by default would not make this a lot more attractive to you clients (dreams are free lol)
Jus need to figuer out how to retarget the Quang Female to the FPS character so she use’s her own animations now

Could you post a larger version of the image please? Thanks!

This better

I got the character in and working, I can toggle between First and third person I can use the traderand run round all over in Firt person BUT thrid person the mouse locks up and tthe log fills with this:

The only thing I added aprt from the code from your other asset is:

This is whats in my Quang character

It is saying that the Player Controller variable inside BP_RPG_Character contains no value (null). I dont recognise those nodes. Are you using my blueprints or quangs? You can tell by looking at your Game mode setting in World Settings. You need to use my Player controller and First person blueprints not quang’s unless you want to spend a few weeks in blueprint hell :slight_smile:

First personGameMod and a BP_RPG_charater which is a duplicate of your firstperson character. I copied the section of that last picture which is Quang’s blueprint edited
into your blueprint here, (I expanded and moved the sections I added so you can see what has be placed into my game blueprint which is made from a duplicate of your bluprint

Im not sure a copy of my class will work as i think there are Cast to RPGUIKit_FirstPersonCharacter nodes in some places which is casting to a specific class. A child class might work though and I think is probably better because when I update the package it will be less of a pain for you to integrate the new version into your existing projects without redoing a lot of work.

I also noticed you omitted which player controller your project is using. Please supply a screenshot of your Maps and Modes area in Project Settings and the Game Mode area of your World Settings (which can override the Maps and Modes settings).

This what yor looking for?

Looks ok but as previously mentioned, I recommend that you **do not use a copy **of the *BP_RPGUIKit_FirstPersonCharacter *and modify it, and change the skeletal mesh etc. **I recommend that you use a child class of *BP_RPGUIKit_FirstPersonCharacter ***instead. So by this I mean, right-click *BP_RPGUIKit_FirstPersonCharacter *and select Create Child Class. Then go to World Settings and set the Default Pawn Class to that child class you just created then add all the new nodes into its Event Graph, adding in any input events there you need like the Interact event and the Mouse Wheel Up and Mouse Wheel Down. If you do this, and you result in having the same events in the parent class and the child class, then what will happen, when you press play and trigger those events, is that the events in the parent class will fire followed by the events in the child class. It should basically therefore work as expected.

That seems much better, it’s down to no not liking the second “Set Active” in the toggle first/third Person block and I still have the mouse locked in third person

Thank you very very much by the way for ALL your help. You Sir are a GEM to be sure

Did this wee bit of video, not sure it helps much but hey

It did not like the line trace in the followCamera

With a bit of luck theis lot might help other trying the same trick

Can I see a screenshot of your entire window when you have the BP_RPG_Child_Character blueprint open and on the Event Graph tab, please?

I did this thinking it’d show more that a static picture that wa to samll to see

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15rla3s2ce…59-12.mp4?dl=0

I’ll put a pic here too jus in case

Hoping you can scrub through the video to see what you need

Forgot to ask, should I use your current “AttachToComponent” or the “MasterPoseComponebt” if I’m going to be using clothing change’s at some point when I learn how

Hi mate,

It looks like you’ve gone and pasted in everything from the parent classes’ Event Graph into the child classes’ Event Graph, is that correct? You didn’t need to do that because it inherits it all. You only need to paste in whats missing.

When you create the child class it initially looks like this:

Now even though the Event Graph looks pretty empty , this child class contains everything thats in the parent class. The beauty with this child class is that you can add additional functionality to it without modifying the parent making it kind of modular but you end up with a child class that contains the functionality and properties of both parent and child. In more laymans terms , unlike with human beings, in C++ and blueprint, child classes are actually a combination of the parent class+extra stuff you stick in the child class. You can act on all components that exist in the parent class from the child classes’ Event Graph.

Your error about FollowCamera being null could be because there isnt a FollowCamera component inside the Components area (shown inside the red circle within the screenshot) . I couldn’t see one in your video. Did you forget to add it to the Component area of the child?

I recommend that you spend a day going through this course before proceeding any further: https://learn.unrealengine.com/cours…19056829921045