I’ve finally released my first plugin for the marketplace, hope some of you find it useful!
On almost every single game I’ve worked on, we have at some point had the need of generating thumbnails (small images/icons) of actors at runtime. This has been traditionally difficult to do properly in UE4 as you would ideally want to keep a second world in memory where you handle the capture.
This is exactly what I’ve done with this plugin! But don’t worry you don’t have to touch the mess that is maintaining multiple worlds, this is all handled for you. All you have to do is call the Generate Thumbnail blueprint node
Here is a small video showcasing what you can do with this plugin:
- Can be controlled entirely from blueprint
- Captured in separate scene, no interference with main scene
- Works on any actor
- Large number of thumbnail settings
- Built in thumbnail caching
- Thumbnails can now be captured from within the editor! (Right-click any actor and press Scripted Actions -> Generate Thumbnail)
- **New Node **- SaveThumbnail (Save your thumbnail as a Texture2D asset)
- Dynamic resolution, Texture Width, Texture Height, and Capture Alpha are now dynamically overridable
Read more about the update here
Intended Platforms: Any Platform
**Tested Platforms: **Windows
**Some example images
Real world example
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below or send me an e-mail!