Release a Steam version of UE4 like Crytek with Cryengine

Greetings and Epic. I really appreciate your awesome engine. It would be better if can enjoy it but, sadly, not can enjoy it on this planet. Well I have many friends allover the planet who want to try this engine but can’t do it not because of budget problems but because of the WAYS of paying. You know in this world there are many many many countries that don’t allow internet transactions from any kind and this cripples the people there each day. Steam managed to bypass this problem by creating Steam wallet where you can add funds with the help of a person in other countries which allow internet transactions or just buy the Steam card and fill your wallet. Crytek is very smart, and they know this problem, so they released their Cryengine on Steam today for $9.90 a month ($8.33 a month if you get 6 months subscription) and no royalties:CRYENGINE on Steam Not only this costs less than UE4 and you get a price reduction if you get a longer subscription, but also my friends and people allover the planet can now get it and enjoy it while they can’t with UE4. And you know if someone starts a project using a specific engine, he won’t look to get another engine or shift its project to it, which means that those who can get Cryengine now, will skip getting UE4 even if you release it on Steam later (thus allowing them to get it via Steam Wallet or Steam Cards).

I hope you take into consideration that Steam is a very good platform to allow many crippled people (thiose who can’t buy via internet using credit cards) to get access to your engine and please make the price a little lower or at least suggest price reduction for a longer subscription like Crytek. Thanks.

You also:

1. Don’t get access to full source code.
  2. Don’t get access to shaders source.
  3. You can’t use engine after you cancel sub.
  4. You don’t really get any developer support.
  5. You don’t have daily updates. Ok that is gimmicky somewhat, but looking at history I doubt you will get monthly updates as well.

I don’t see any reason for Steam. Steam is just DRM wall, so you won’t be able to use Engine after your sub ends.
Instead it will be better to just add more payment options on Epic site.

I really can’t see any good reasons, to put UE4 on steam. What would be purpose of that, expect adding one more app, to launch before I can start rest of the engine ?

Edit:
Never mind, too many limitations with Steam.

-> 1. Don’t get access to full source code. -> 3. You can’t use engine after you cancel subscription. - Wow, those two kill it for me right there.

Going to lock this

Hi ,

I have re-opened this thread. We do not mind civil discussion on the various engines, so long as the conversation remains polite and does not turn into an engine war we are more than happy to leave the thread open! Have a great day!

I would advise anyone to strongly look at the CryEngine EULA - and if you’re considering it commercially, have a lawyer look over it.

One of the obvious caveats is that whilst CryEngine’s SDK is cheap, you will still need to buy a WWise license in order to release a product, which is a nasty hidden cost tucked away quite a few pages into their legal document. Another problem is that there seems to be a potentially ambiguous division of ownership regarding your content developed with the SDK.

In addition to the other reasons listed, I personally think that UE4 should get a little more polished before releasing to the masses via steam. Given the number of non-serious developers that would pick up the engine and then flood the forums with noise, I am not sure it would be worth it. I was reading some comments on some of the twitch streams and I feel like that kind of stuff is what would migrate over here(maybe that is just an irrational fear of mine).

Of course, Epic would make more money from subs if they went to Steam, and anything can happen. Maybe it would drag in all kinds of great talent that might have never considered developing a game.

[=;61495]
In addition to the other reasons listed, I personally think that UE4 should get a little more polished before releasing to the masses via steam. Given the number of non-serious developers that would pick up the engine and then flood the forums with noise, I am not sure it would be worth it. I was reading some comments on some of the twitch streams and I feel like that kind of stuff is what would migrate over here(maybe that is just an irrational fear of mine).

Of course, Epic would make more money from subs if they went to Steam, and anything can happen. Maybe it would drag in all kinds of great talent that might have never considered developing a game.
[/]

That would be so baaad. I support your opinion 100% non-serious developers (NSD) will ruin UE4.

We have a joke about a Uni in my country:
“Q: Why does this Uni have a fence around the building?”
“A: Because if it didn’t even the street dogs would get a diploma!”

So we do have to protect UE4 a.k.a. keep the entry barrier a bit higher. The person that really wants to build a game will find a way, the NSD will find an excuse …

What do you think?

Just to clarify, you CAN use UE4 even after canceling the subscription. You just cant update to a newer version.

Well…I think $20/month has effectively opened the flood gates to allow entry to anyone from any background. True there seems to be a few issues with the engine that will have many asking nonsensical questions, but that’s both eye of the beholder and high barriers certainly don’t stop that. It’s the UE team that must bear the weight of that, but if we the community want to ensure that the forums and answerhub don’t devolve into chaos then we need to start answering a lot of questions (even the trivial ones) and make sure that whatever question is posed is answered somewhere, probably several times using multiple ways to explain it.

Overall, my opinion is that opening the availability of the engine not only gives opportunity to a great many backgrounds and skills (and unskilled), it also gets people into the machine who may not even make a game for some years to come. Similar to what I saw in the 90’s where software companies may purposely release cracked versions of software to get young people a solid footing into using their system. (At least I know of one major company that made strong suggestion this was done, but that was years ago, sorry no source) Opening to Steam will indeed open up to more subscribers, and how that’s handled from a support sense is not our call.

Anyway, I don’t get the impression that the OP was about Cryengine or Steam really. It’s more a request to look at alternate forms of payment. This is a significant issue for MMO subscriptions, which any future MMO makers out there may want to take note. Access to payment methods in a great many other countries is not as easy as it is in the U.S. or Europe. So, thinking this might be a topic only the UE team could address one way or another. Several MMO developers choose not to address this for good reason, it’s a real p.i.t.a., which brings us full circle back to why Steam was mentioned in the first place since it effectively becomes just the payment gateway between the customer and developer.

CryEngine also has a hidden $750 upfront cost if you plan on releasing anything with it; Something related to the audio engine they use.

[=;61293]
One of the obvious caveats is that whilst CryEngine’s SDK is cheap, you will still need to buy a WWise license in order to release a product, which is a nasty hidden cost tucked away quite a few pages into their legal document.
[/]

The price of the license varies depending on what you need. It’s a minimum of $750 per platform, but can be even more expensive.

[=Midnight640;61586]
That would be so baaad. I support your opinion 100% non-serious developers (NSD) will ruin UE4.

We have a joke about a Uni in my country:
“Q: Why does this Uni have a fence around the building?”
“A: Because if it didn’t even the street dogs would get a diploma!”

So we do have to protect UE4 a.k.a. keep the entry barrier a bit higher. The person that really wants to build a game will find a way, the NSD will find an excuse …

What do you think?
[/]

I actually disagree here, although I definitely understand where you guys are coming from on this. Thing is, Unreal Engine may be much easier to use than other engines but it is still an engine, so while getting some less serious developers will happen, we won’t really be seeing people who are completely clueless as to how game engines work. With that said, I think selling it on steam is a fairly good idea, as it will likely put the engine in front of many who weren’t informed about the new EaaS and pricing structure, especially those who casually mess around with other engines like Unity, Adobe Game SDK, or Corona SDK but aren’t really very active in researching their options or other engines. There are also a lot of companies who are looking to create interactive mobile apps but aren’t knowledgeable about the gaming industry and thus wouldn’t really know much about Unreal Engine, so putting the engine on steam (which is moving heavily into selling software as opposed to just games) will help get the engine in-front of those companies, which otherwise would probably never know about Unreal Engine. Just Google mobile game development and you’ll find nothing on Unreal Engine, only Unity and Corona, so it’s unlikely that professionals looking to develop interactive applications would ever even know about Unreal Engine. That’s not to say that steam will completely change this, but the more exposure for Unreal Engine, the better.

Also its worth noting that a non-serious developer can easily become a serious one if given the right motivation, and nothing can motivate them faster than discovering an engine that is powerful, easy to use, and affordable. It has been my experience that many non-serious developers aren’t serious because they aren’t sure if creating a game is realistic - they generally fear that it might be too difficult, or worse, too expensive. Unreal Engine 4 is out to change that perception, and it’s already beginning to work. There is also the potential of getting subscribers who might just see it and decide to try it out, these subscribers might be clueless and non-serious, but you never know if they may really love it and become more serious about game development. Maybe they don’t develop games, see it on steam, and don’t buy it as they have no interest, if later in the future they decide to go into game development (maybe for a job, as a hobby, or even one specific project), they may remember seeing it on steam and that will likely be the first thing they go to.

Furthermore, gamers are notorious for being interested in what engine a new game is going to use, so putting Unreal Engine on steam where many games may come across it is a good way of showing off the engine and it’s benefits to gamers. Because unreal engine is so powerful, it will like be well received by many of these gamers, and this makes choosing Unreal Engine a no-brainer for game developers who don’t want to spend the time and money developing their own engines. This is best exemplified by the dismal public opinion of the Hero Engine after the SW:TOR fiasco. Even though BioWare used an older and less polished version of the engine, public opinion was set, and caused outrage when other companies like Zenimax Online Studios announced their intention to use Hero Engine. This public outrage caused those companies to drop the Hero Engine altogether, and pretty much ensured the loss of companies who otherwise might have considered using it in the future.

That’s my two cents anyways. BTW that joke about your university made my day, thanks for that :slight_smile:

I think it’s worth asking Epic for discounts for 6 month and annual subscriptions. I’m sure there are people who would be very happy if Epic offered that!

[]
we won’t really be seeing people who are completely clueless as to how game engines work
[/]

Even without help of steam i see a lot of people like that here anyway

[=haruna;68228]
I think it’s worth asking Epic for discounts for 6 month and annual subscriptions. I’m sure there are people who would be very happy if Epic offered that!
[/]

10/10 would pay for an annual sub

Crytek released the source code on steam now, you have no reason to not think about Steam version.

[=;69666]
Crytek released the source code on steam now, you have no reason to not think about Steam version.
[/]

According to their update. Its only “Some Sourcecode” namely the “CryAction and CryInput Source Code”. So still not full source like UE4

[=;69666]
[/]

It’s still an DRM box with an extra layer off application cake and Epic paying money to Valve as the topping. Crytek can paint the sky pink but there will never be “no reason” to not have it on Steam - in other words; it will always be at least one reason to not have it on Steam.