Relationship between c++ and blueprints.

Hi all

I’m in the process of giving UE4 a go and after browsing the internet and documentation some doubts still persist, especially the relationship between blueprints and c++.

For example:

• Is it possible to have a “pure” c++ project without the need of blueprints at all?
  • Can you mix c++ and blueprints?
  • How do know when one is more suitable over the other?

My confusion comes from the fact that a lot of tutorials use blueprints like the vehicle example on the documentation. Can a blueprint example be translated to c++?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, it is possible to have pure C++ project. Just don’t create any blueprints, that’s all. Everything available in blueprints can be done with C++.
  2. Yes, it is possible to mix them. You may extend your C++ classes via blueprints. You may have properties in a blueprints of type of your C++ classes/structs/enums.
  3. I prefer to do logic in C++, and visuals in blueprints. For me it’s easier to tweak program flow when it’s written as text and colors/textures/meshes/etc with editor drag’n’drop. But it’s up to you to decide what is more comfortable way of creating stuff.

Hi and welcome to UE4 :slight_smile:

To answer your questions:

1. Yes you can have a pure c++ project without any blueprints
  2. Yes you can mix them up. You can implement some functionality in c++ and some other in blueprints or implement in c++ and make a blueprint from the class and use the methods and variables in bp
  3. That question can not be answered in general. It relies on you personal preference. But in some case you can achieve functionality only touching c++

And finally yes - a bp can be transformed to c++ as bp is basically a visual tool that uses c++ in the background.

Got it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help guys.