Reinstancing non-actor, failed to resolve archetype object

I keep getting that error when hot-reloaded after I added a custom scene component to my actor blueprint. It resets all the settings for that component. Is there any way around it?

I think it’s related to this Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-64076) and Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-35870) bug and maybe perhaps this Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-52220)

The only workaround is to manually set those lost component data on blueprint Event_BeginPlay. Is that the only way to get with this? Btw this problem doesn’t occur before version 4.20

Here is a better temporary workaround that fixes the bug temporarily.

• Delete the following folders from your project:
    .vs
    Binaries
    Intermediate
    Saved
    *.sln

• Then right-click the .uproject and select “Generate Visual Studio project files”.

• Open the *.uproject and let it generate and build all the editor files again.

• Compile and redo lighting.

I would not trust Hot Reload. Its buggy and causes issues like you have seen.

Majority of full time UE4 users, close the editor, compile and reload the editor. They use Live++ (from 4.22 onwards) to compile simple “Function” changes, It should not be used to compile header changes or class layout changes (like adding new functions, renaming a function, changing a function signature, adding a struct, adding a new class, etc.

How usable is live coding? Currently it’s marked as experimental so I am scared to turn it on.

i use it all the time, never had issues.

It’s not a good look for a massive engine like Unreal Engine to have such a major bug. You would think since this bug existed for like almost 3 years that it would be fixed but nope. Probably the only issue that’s making me not want to fully switch to Unreal.