Reinstalling Android APK deletes old saves

I’m trying to update an old app of mine for the Google Play Store. I remain using 4.19 because some of the updates would give me a good bit of extra work to do to keep some of the mechanics running, but if an upgrade to a specific UE4 version would help to fix the following issues, just say the word and I’ll deal with the extra hassle.

I want my players to be able to uninstall my game from the Play Store and keep their old save file(s). I have “ExternalFilesDir” unchecked for this reason (uninstalling with this checked deletes the saves). Unfortunately however, I realize that when I REINSTALL the APK from my computer, it still deletes the save file(s) left after previously uninstalling.

I hate the thought of someone losing all of their save data when they uninstall. Someone please help me amend this, or better explain why this happens/a better way to go about saving and loading on Android.

Bumping this.

tl;dr: how can I help Google Play users keep their data when they uninstall, and be able to use that data if they reinstall the game to play it further (rather than the data being deleted on the reinstall)?

oh well i am looking for same thing aswell, any news from you?